Nov 20, 2019
Group of three happy multiethnic friends looking at camera. Portrait of young women of different cultures enjoying vacation together. Smiling islamic girl with two african american friends outdoor.

How Can I Get the Most Out of My Vacation Time?

I’ve been at my current job for a little over a year, and I’ve finally been given vacation time. I’m planning to take a week off, but I still haven’t settled on a destination. I really want to make the most of my time off and make my trip as memorable as possible. Do the experts have any tips on how to have an unforgettable vacation?

It’s easy to get caught up in the rat race that we forget to take time off to rest and recharge. More people are recognizing the need for better work/life balance, and are finally making use of their vacation time. I’m glad to see that you’re doing the same.

There are many ways to make the most of your vacation time, especially if you get the planning just right.

I’m assuming that it’s been at least a year since you last took a vacation. Because it’s been a while since you had some time off, you may be wanting to go “all-out” and plan an action-packed trip. 

If you do this, you’ll be more exhausted when you get home than you were before you left. One of the best vacations I ever took was when I spent four days parked on a beach doing nothing but relaxing and checking out a few local sights. 

Don’t plan a jam-packed vacation that leaves you with no downtime. It’s important to be able to soak up your surroundings and really enjoy each moment. It’s hard to do that when you’re constantly thinking about the next thing you have to do, or moving from one activity to the next.

Slow down. Create an itinerary, but don’t go overboard. 

If you want to see as many places as you can, try a multi centre holiday where you spend a few days in each location. This will give you time to explore each city, and then get excited about exploring the next one. Because you only have a week, it may be best to stick to two or three (at most) destinations. 

What if your goal is to maximize the rest and relaxation aspect of your trip? In this case, I’d recommend taking the less-traveled path. Pick destinations that aren’t going to be crowded, or travel during off-season. The weather may not be optimal, but you’ll also avoid having to fight with the crowds. 

You can also choose to stay at a resort where the entire focus of the trip is to be pampered and relax. Whichever route you take, just make sure that you don’t overdo it and pack on too many things at once. Otherwise, you’ll spend the entire trip stressing and rushing instead of relaxing and enjoying.While you’re away, be sure to take lots of pictures to remember those moments, but don’t forget to be there. So many people today are Instagramming their entire vacations to the point where they have the entire experience behind a cell phone screen. Take a few photos, and then put the camera away.

Previous Story 15 Fresno State students displaced by nearby apartment fire article thumbnail mt-3

15 Fresno State students displaced by nearby apartment fire

Next Story 5 Fashion Staples to Carry You Through Your Internship article thumbnail mt-3

5 Fashion Staples to Carry You Through Your Internship