How Do I Stop My Brother from Driving and Texting?

Close-up Of A Man's Hand Typing Text Message On Mobile Phone While Driving Car

My brother is a smart kid, or he was until recently. He started to rebel a lot, and I have seen him drive right through a stop sign because he was texting or on his phone when driving. Nothing I say seems to work to convince him that being on the phone and driving is going to get him or someone else killed.

He’s a danger on the road, and I want to put an end to it before he ends up killing someone.

Your brother is following a very risky trend. Statistically, 88% of people use their phones while operating a vehicle. ZenDrive found that everyone uses their phone while driving. Teens are on the phone. Seniors are on the phone. Parents are on the phone.

Age, ethnicity and sex doesn’t seem to matter.

Driving and texting has led to a significant spike in the number of distracted driving accidents in recent years. ZenDrive found that the average person, based off of 3 million drivers’ sensor data over the course of 5.6 billion miles, spends 35 out of every 60 minutes on the phone when driving.

This means that more than half of the time people are on the road, they’re on their phones.

Laws are meant to help curb this behavior, but I have watched cops pass me on the road while holding their phones to their ears. No one is listening, but that doesn’t mean that your brother should continue his habits.

Seatbelts and safety features led to accident declines over several decades, but all of a sudden in 2014 – 2015, accidents rose 7% because of distracted driving.

Police officers have a difficult time determining when a driver is on their phone and driving. There are no visible marks left behind by the phone, and privacy laws can make it difficult for a police officer to inspect a phone to see if it was in use when a crash occurred.

Since you’ve sat down and talked to your brother, it’s time to sit down and discuss the issue with your parents.

Depending on his age, they can install an app that will prevent texting and driving. Apps can be used that will effectively stop the person from receiving any texts while they’re driving. These apps are less intrusive than taking away his phone, and they have been very helpful for younger teens.

If he is 18 or older, your parents may have little recourse to stop this bad behavior.

The only thing that can be done in this case is to educate your brother on the risks. He can choose to follow the law, or break the law. It’s akin to telling someone not to drink and drive when they already know all of the hazards.

Cellphone use while driving is not unique to your brother. And while everyone else is doing it, the only real way that we’ll see a change in this behavior is if the authorities choose to start ticketing drivers, fining drivers and even taking people’s licenses away for driving and using their phones.

Previous Story Can the Nursing Home Deny Me Access to My Grandparent? article thumbnail mt-3

Can the Nursing Home Deny Me Access to My Grandparent?

Next Story What are Some of the Most Promising Cancer Breakthroughs? article thumbnail mt-3

What are Some of the Most Promising Cancer Breakthroughs?