Fresno State junior Trevor Clayton poses with his trophy after the 2016 Mountain West Men’s Golf Championship at the Omni Tucson National Resort in Tucson, Arizona. (Trevor Brown Jr./NCAA Photos)
Fresno State junior and 2016 Mountain West Men’s Golf Individual Champion Trevor Clayton is set to compete in the Albuquerque Regional on May 16-18, the NCAA Division I Men’s Golf Committee announced Thursday.
“Trevor has worked extremely hard to get to postseason play,” Bulldogs’ head coach Chad Spencer said. “Winning the MW championship shows the type of physical and mental skills he has for this sport. I had the pleasure of representing Fresno State four times in the NCAA Tourney. I hope to be able to share those experiences with him as he prepares for his first.”
Clayton will be one of 45 participants who will be playing as individuals. The participants will compete across six different regional sites around the country.
The junior transfer from CSU Stanislaus led the team this season with a 72.00 scoring average over 33 rounds of golf. Clayton came through when it mattered most as he earned his first career win at the league championships in Tucson, Arizona, by recording a 9-under-par 207. The win gave him an automatic bid into the postseason.
“I came to Fresno State to have an opportunity just like this,” Clayton said. “To take all the hard work and practice during the season and now have this in front of me is awesome. It’s an honor to represent my team, family and community at the NCAAs.”
2016 NCAA Men’s Golf Championship Sites:
(6) Regionals – May 16-18:
• Tuscaloosa, Alabama, site: Ol’ Colony Golf Complex (host: Alabama).
• Marana, Arizona, site: Gallery Golf Club (host: Arizona).
• Kohler, Wisconsin, site: Blackwolf Run Meadow Valleys Course (host: Marquette).
• Albuquerque, New Mexico, site: Championship Course at University of New Mexico (host: New Mexico).
• Stillwater, Oklahoma, site: Karsten Creek Golf Club (host: Oklahoma State).
• Franklin, Tennessee, site: Vanderbilt Legends Club (host: Vanderbilt).
Finals – May 27-June 1:
• Eugene, Oregon, site: Eugene Country Club (host: Oregon).
Albuquerque Regional Participants
(Conference automatic qualifiers are indicated in parenthesis next to the institution)
2. Arizona State
3. South Florida (American Athletic Conference)
4. San Diego State
5. Texas A&M
6. North Carolina State
7. New Mexico
8. Texas Tech
11. Liberty (Big South Conference)
12. U.S. Military Academy (Patriot League)
13. Cleveland State (Horizon League)
14. Wagner (Northeast Conference)
1. Hayden Shieh, Santa Clara
2. Patrick Fishburn, BYU
3. Frederik Dreier, UTEP
4. Trevor Clayton, Fresno State
5. Nicholas Dilio, Saint Peter’s