Aug 09, 2020

Campuzano out and Sweeten in as former executive resigns ASI position

The first official Associated Students Inc. (ASI) senate meeting of the semester established yet another change within the executive members.

Former ASI Executive Vice President (EVP) Beatriz Campuzano submitted a letter of resignation addressed to ASI President Graham Wahlberg and to members of the ASI senate on Jan. 21.

Her resignation was effective on Jan. 16.

Illness reason for resignation

Campuzano was elected to the position of EVP last fall by an ASI senate vote. Before her election, Campuzano had been a senator-at-large.

The previous EVP, Sandra Flores, resigned after admitting in a letter to students that she was present while the substance-free pledge was broken during an ASI retreat in July 2008.

In Campuzano’s letter to Wahlberg and the ASI senate, she stated that because of medical concerns she is stepping down as EVP.

“Last semester I became very ill and was trying to take a leave of absence from school,” Campuzano said.

“After I became ill my doctor suggested that I remove myself from highly stressful situations and confrontations in order to keep my health … under control. As is evident the position of Executive Vice President requires much time and attention, which unfortunately I am in no condition to offer,” Campuzano said in her letter.

Sweeten ‘ready and excited’

So, with a 10-3 vote by the ASI senate, former Senator for the College of Agricultural Sciences and Technology Jessica Sweeten was elected to the position of EVP.

Sweeten, a junior, is an agricultural education major with an option in agricultural communications and an emphasis in public relations.

She told The Collegian in a telephone interview that she can’t wait to get into office and get to work.

“I am ready and excited. I’m glad we’re starting the new semester on a good foot and ready to get some things accomplished,” Sweeten said.

The ‘Saint’ comes Full Circle

‘It’s going to look very empty’