Girls face poisonous youth culture in education?

I have a beef with a guest speaker who’s presenting here later today if her press release is accurate.

Faced with a spirited 11-year-old daughter, a concern about what therapists have called a ‘poisonous’ youth culture — especially for girls — and a conviction that parents need powerful tools to help their daughters realize their potential, educator-activist Diana Meehan decided with two other mothers to create a new school based on social science and brain research about how girls learn best.

Last time I checked, girls were already outperforming boys. And how can a poisonous youth culture be avoided by separate schooling, considering the pervasive influence of the media?

How is the youth culture especially poisonous for girls, either? Boys are members of the gender who commit 89 percent of all juvenile violent crime. Sure, girls’ crime rates are increasing somewhat, but it’d be hard to argue that youth culture is more poisonous to girls than to boys.

I tend to be fascinated by gender politics, at least when I’m not disgusted.

There were one or two comments on a previous blog on gender politics to the effect that the United States’ society increasingly favors the feminine. I have to agree, at least in public education.

How many false sexual harassment cases are there in education? Even a false claim irrevocably damages a teacher’s career. Our litigious society favors women in most of these cases, if not in trial then at least in the courts of public opinion.

Women’s rights are well and fine, but I think the distinction makes men’s rights fall by the wayside in some areas. Whatever happened to equal rights, without any side more equal?

I probably blew the press release out of proportion, but it seems based on a false premise, however good the intentions of the all-girls school. Gender politics and accusations of sexism really get on my nerves, sometimes.

*****

In other news: take his wife, please; he’d never get elected in the U.S., but only for his stubble; and $100 laptops cost twice that much.

How happy are you at work?

WEB-SPE@K: How do alcohol policies affect the campus?