Click here for questions regarding policies.
All advertisements are subject to the approval of The Collegian. The Collegian reserves the right to refuse advertising which has obscene, sexist, racist or other content deemed by The Collegian to be otherwise inappropriate.The Collegian does not accept advertising that promotes irresponsible, excessive or illegal drinking of alcoholic beverages. In consideration of the University’s Alcoholic Sponsorship Policy, The Collegian does not accept advertising that promotes the prices of alcoholic beverages (e.g., reduced prices, drink specials, two-for-one drinks, etc.)Additionally, the words “[name of advertiser] promotes responsible drinking” must be included in any ad that mentions alcoholic beverages, and those words must be displayed prominently and be readable.The Collegian does not accept advertising that is designed to sell or promote the following:
- All tobacco products, including hooka.
- Gambling of any kind, including sports gambling.
- Entertainment and services involving or suggesting predominantly sexual themes, including erotic dancers, strip tease shows and phone sex.
- Term papers or other academic work deemed to encourage student cheating.
All subject matter is contingent on the approval of The Collegian. This includes the form, size and text of ads. Also subject to approval are the illustrations and typography used in ads.
The Collegian also reserves the right to request additional information including but not limited to the following: business address, website address, business phone and fax numbers, e-mail address, and credit references.
Page placement for the back page is $100. Back-page ads must be in color, and the advertiser will be charged for the color in addition to the $100 page-placement charge. Cost of color is as follows: $300 for a full-page ad and $150 for a half page and $75 for a quarter page or smaller ad. No other page placement is available.
Ads Simulating News Copy
Advertisements simulating news copy must be marked with the words “Paid Advertisement.”
Advertiser’s Signed Approval on Art
The advertiser is responsible for all art, including ads designed by the advertiser. The advertiser shall review and signify approval on ads designed by The Collegian by signing on the ad before it is published. Signed approval shall include any and all revisions performed by The Collegian. The Collegian shall, therefore, not be liable for any error in an ad that has been “signed off.”
Ad Design is offered at no charge to our clients. Ads designed by the Collegian may be purchased for use in other publications.
All artwork must be submitted at least seven (7) days prior to the publication date as the art department will place the ad and verify it is the correct size and quality. This is to best provide our clients with the opportunity to correct any errors discovered within the ad and allow for the best quality product for the paper and the clients themselves.
Less is more
Simple designs are easier to read.
A picture is worth a thousand words
Images catch the reader’s attention faster than copy.
Keep in touch with your designers and ask questions.
Make your ad stand out from the rest
Viewers find color ads more attractive.
Keep your words brief
Ad designers work better with less copy. Don’t let your words visually compete with the image or artwork.
- File formats should be pdf, eps, jpeg, tiff or psd.
- All print artwork should be 300dpi for best printing quality.
- Mobile is the specified sizes with a preference of 72dpi and saved as a png.
- Online ads should be rgb and 72dpi.
- All fonts must be embedded or converted to outlines.
- We do not accept Microsoft Word, Publisher or Adobe Pagemaker.
- We do not scan images.
Any artwork that does not fit our expectations and criteria may be pulled at our discretion and published at a later date after a higher quality ad has been received and reviewed.
Size of Submitted Ads
The Collegian does not stretch or shrink ads to fit the space sold. It will, at the advertiser’s request, float ads that are too small. (A floated ad is one that is placed in a larger, standard-sized space.)
In the event of an error in an ad on the part of The Collegian, the liability of The Collegian will be limited. Partial credit will be given when the effectiveness of the ad is reduced. Full credit or a “make-good” will be given when the error negates the effectiveness of the ad or when an incorrect insertion date occurs. (A make-good is defined as a re-publication of an ad.)In no event shall The Collegian be liable for any consequential damages relative to the advertising art or for damages in excess of the cost of the ad.
- Signed authorization on the insertion order constitutes a contract for an advertisement. As such, the ad will be paid in full by the advertiser, which is represented by the signature on the insertion order.
- A signed discounted contract constitutes an agreement for bulk inches. When contract inches are not met, the advertiser will pay the actual earned rate.
- Inserts are not accepted.
- Ads less than 4 column inches are not accepted.
- Rates shown are for Run of Paper (ROP) placement.
- All ads must have a border.
- All advertisers must pay in advance.
- All checks are payable to The Collegian.
- Credit cards cannot be accepted.
- A $20 charge will be assessed for all returned checks.
- Tear sheets and ad sheets are mailed weekly.
- For questions regarding payment, please contact the business manager at (559) 278-5735.