Sep 17, 2019
beautiful brunette businesswoman driving a cabrio car

How Can I Protect My Company Vehicles?

I recently had an incident with one of my employees and one of my company vehicles. The ordeal has made me concerned about protecting my fleet. I’m wondering if I should be taking additional steps to ensure that my vehicles are protected. 

Company vehicles are costly assets that should be properly mobilized and stored. There are also liability concerns that need to be addressed. 

Ensuring the safety of your fleet can be a complex and ongoing process that involves employee screening, ongoing automotive care, scheduled maintenance, and comprehensive insurance coverage.

If you want to keep a close eye on your fleet, you can use tracking technology to see where your vehicles are located at any given time. Trackers, like the skypatrol trackers on gpswox.com, can help you determine whether drivers are visiting in appropriate places or slacking off. Unauthorized use of the vehicle could be grounds for termination due to increased liability risks and a higher chance of the vehicle being stolen or vandalized.

Remote GPS tracking will also allow you to analyze employee performance and drive times.

If one of your company vehicles is stolen, a tracking system will ensure that you can locate the vehicle and the authorities can apprehend the suspects. 

GPS tracking offers significant benefits, but some thieves are smart enough to remove tracking devices. That’s why it’s important to have extra backup for maximum protection, such as a remote unlock and disable system. This type of system will make it easier to locate the vehicle, and also allows you to regain access if the keys are lost.

Protecting your vehicles from cosmetic damage is also important. One way to do this is to install body kits that can be removed or replaced as necessary. Cosmetic repairs, even those that seem minor, can render a vehicle completely useless for weeks. And if the damage is extensive enough, you may be forced to register the vehicle with a salvage title. A salvage title would lower the vehicle’s value.

Another area to consider is your insurance. I’m assuming that you already have insurance on all of your vehicles, and hopefully, you have a group package that saves you money. But if you want maximum protection, you need to go beyond the minimum coverage. Instead, you’ll want to invest in comprehensive coverage that will cover the cost of common losses and repairs.

Depending on the size of your fleet, you may find it overwhelming to keep up with your vehicles’ maintenance and inspection. Failure to perform routine maintenance can lead to more costly repairs and potentially dangerous driving conditions. Make sure that tires, gaskets, seals, pumps and other moving parts are replaced or repaired as needed. More importantly, you should ensure that the oil is changed according to the manufacturer’s recommendations. Brake changes and tune-ups should also be performed when recommended. 

Finally, you want to take the time to screen all of your drivers. A detailed background check should be performed on every potential driver before hiring. If their driving record includes accidents and signs of irresponsible behavior, you may not want them driving your company’s vehicles.

Previous Story What Information Should I Check Before Buying a Car? article thumbnail mt-3

What Information Should I Check Before Buying a Car?

Next Story International Nuptials article thumbnail mt-3

International Nuptials