Sep 15, 2019
Woman complaining suffering back ache on a bad mattress in a bed at home in the night

What Mattress is the Best for Someone With a Bad Back?

I have a bad back that has caused me pain for years. Everyone keeps telling me that I need to get a new mattress, but no one is telling me which mattresses are actually good for back pain. Are soft or firm mattresses better?

Do the experts have any advice for me?

Back pain is serious, and up to 80% of the population will experience back pain at some point in their lives. Small changes can make a big difference in your back pain, and choosing a new mattress that offers support can help a lot.

If you’re overweight, you’ll also want to try and lose weight to put some of the pressure off of your back.

We asked our expert about the best mattress for a bad back, and we came back with a lot of great tips that will help you along the way.

Stay Away from Soft Mattresses

A study on 300+ people with lower back pain found that medium-firm or firm mattresses work best for someone with back pain. Medium-firm mattresses are ideal and a good option if you can’t decide.

The group in the study that chose medium-firm mattresses had the lowest level of discomfort.

Memory foam mattresses are recommended over innerspring mattresses because they conform to the natural curves in the back and put less pressure on the back’s pain points.

Squishy mattresses do not keep your spine aligned properly and will not allow you to sleep with good posture. While these soft, squishy mattresses may be comfortable at first, they will not allow the back to relax and recover as needed to eliminate back pain.

Test Mattresses Before You Buy

A lot of manufacturers are offering a “test-drive” of their mattresses. This test-drive will allow you to try the mattress for a month or up to 100 days in some cases. If the mattress does not alleviate your back pain, you can return the mattress for a full refund.

You can also take a tip from others and try out mattresses in a hotel.

When you sleep at a hotel and have a great night of sleep without back pain, look at the mattress’ manufacturer and model. You can purchase a similar mattress to enjoy the same level of comfort.

You can also purchase a mattress that allows you to adjust the firmness level. These mattresses cost more money, but they’re worth the expense if you can’t find the right firmness level for your back.

Body pillows, properly placed between your knees, can also help you align your spine when sleeping and offer immediate back pain relief.

You have a lot of options to pick from, and I suggest that you keep trying to find a mattress that will help reduce your back pain. Pain medications can help, but a lot of people that have formed an addiction to pain medications first started using these medications when they started having back problems.

It’s better to find natural methods to solve your back pain than rely on medications to help.

Previous Story How Can I Boost My Social Media Engagement? article thumbnail mt-3

How Can I Boost My Social Media Engagement?

Next Story Is There a Natural Treatment for My Relationship Problem? article thumbnail mt-3

Is There a Natural Treatment for My Relationship Problem?