Sep 15, 2019
Hair loss word cloud concept

How Can I Stop My Hair Loss?

I have a personal and embarrassing problem that I’d like some help with. I’m a male who is still in college, but I’m starting to lose my hair. I’m not sure if it’s stress, or if this is just my body getting older. I know there are scalp treatments out there and pills, but do they actually work? Is it possible to stop the hair loss?

Male hair loss can be an embarrassing and distressing issue. You’re still in college, so you probably didn’t expect to have to deal with this issue at such a young age.

With that said, men can start losing their hair as early as age 20. You’re not alone, and your situation isn’t as uncommon as you might think.

Androgenetic alopecia, better known as male pattern baldness, accounts for more than 95% of hair loss in men. About two-thirds of men will experience some degree of hair loss by the age of 35, and by the age of 50, about 85% of men will have significantly thinning hair.

It’s possible that your hair loss is caused by androgenetic alopecia, but you did mention that stress could be the cause. Stress can very well cause you to lose your hair. In fact, there are three types of hair loss associated with high stress levels:

• Alopecia areata: The body’s immune system attacks hair follicles, resulting in hair loss.
  • Trichotillomania: Causes an irresistible urge to pull hair out of your scalp, eyebrows or other areas of the body. The hair pulling may be the body’s way of dealing with uncomfortable feelings, such as stress.
  • Telogen effluvium: Severe stress can cause your hair follicles to go into a resting phase. When this happens, hairs may fall out suddenly while washing or combing your hair.

Here’s the good news: if stress is causing your hair loss, it may not be permanent. Once you get your stress under control, your hair may start growing back.

However, male pattern baldness is to blame, the hair loss is permanent.

Hair loss can also be caused by other medical conditions, such as:

• Infections
  • Chemotherapy
  • Hormonal imbalances
  • Heavy metal poisoning
  • Nutrient deficiencies
  • Thyroid disease
  • Iron deficiency
  • Syphilis
  • Lupus
  • Fungal diseases

It’s important to try and figure out the root cause of your hair loss because the cause will determine your treatment. If it’s a temporary thing, like stress, causing the hair loss, then you may not need any treatments. Once the stress is under control, your hair should start growing back.

There is one well-known treatment for hair loss in men: Propecia, or finasteride.

Finasteride is generally used to treat an enlarged prostate, but it also happens to help with hair loss. It’s been touted as one of the most effective ways to treat hair loss, but it’s not without its risks. In fact, this drug can increase your risk of developing a serious form of prostate cancer, although the risk increase is slight.

If you’re worried about your hair loss and you think it might be something more than just stress, talk to your doctor. Your doctor will help you figure out the root cause of the hair loss and make recommendations on treatment.

Previous Story How Can I Invest in Fortune 500 Companies With Little Capital? article thumbnail mt-3

How Can I Invest in Fortune 500 Companies With Little Capital?

Next Story 3 Bulldogs selected to preseason award watch lists article thumbnail mt-3

3 Bulldogs selected to preseason award watch lists