Sep 15, 2019
Doctor showing silicone implants for breast augmentation to patient in clinic, closeup. Cosmetic surgery

What are the Risks of Breast Implants?

I’ve never been happy with the way that my body looks, and I am really considering breast implants. A lot of my friends are telling me that I am not thinking this through. They keep telling me that there are a lot of risks that I am not considering.

But implants have been around for decades, so I assume that they must be relatively safe at this point.

Can implants be unsafe or even deadly like everyone is telling me?

Any time you go “under the knife,” there are risks. You don’t know how you’ll react to anesthesia, and you are also putting a foreign object into your body. The implants are abnormal, and while they may seem “safe,” you never know how your body will react to the them.

There are also some concerns about implants and cancer.

“As of the end of September 2018, the FDA received more than 660 medical device reports linking breast implants to anaplastic large cell lymphoma. These reports include at least 9 fatal instances of women who succumbed to this rare form of immune system cancer,” explains Bradshaw Law LLC.

Additional studies are also linking implants to cancer. A 2017 study looked at 80 cases of lymphoma and breast implants. The researchers found that the average person started to develop cancer in 11 years, with the average woman being 52 years old when she was diagnosed.

Silicone and saline breast implants have been equally linked to cancer: 41% and 42% respectively.

Material is not the cause of the cancer risk. The texture of the implant seems to be the cause of higher cancer risks. The texture can trap fluid in the breast, and then cause the formation of scar tissue in the breast. Scar tissue will increase the risk and formation of cancer cells.

The good news is that the removal of the implants will help with the treatment of cancer.

Cancer is a major concern, but the FDA also lists risks of breast implants. Breast pain is a risk along with additional surgeries and the risk of having to remove the implant. Since the implant will stretch the skin, you can expect this area to have stretch marks and look deflated.

Loss of sensation in the breast and nipple will also be a possibility.

Rupture is a risk, and this will require immediate surgery to correct. Thinning and shrinking of the breast tissue will also occur. Extrusion may occur, where the implant causes the skin of the breasts to break down and the implant to start showing through the skin.

Infection can also occur, leading to necrosis which is the actual death of the skin or tissue around the breast.

Breast implants are a very serious surgery, and if you’re questioning whether or not to get them, you should not have the surgery. Sometimes, it’s better to learn to love your body rather than face an increased risk of cancer or other side effects listed. A lot of women that do get implants end up regretting their decision in the future.

Previous Story How Can I Protect Children from Summer Injuries? article thumbnail mt-3

How Can I Protect Children from Summer Injuries?

Next Story Can You Sue a Salon for Scalp Burns? article thumbnail mt-3

Can You Sue a Salon for Scalp Burns?