Sep 20, 2019
Book about Veteran Benefits on a desk.

What Can I Do If My Disability Benefits are Denied?

I was disabled after a motor vehicle accident, and I paid into a long-term disability policy. I am from Canada, and while I was given short-term disability, I’m being refused long-term disability. I was denied long-term coverage, and my benefits are about to be cut off.

I don’t know how I’ll pay my mortgage or even feed my family.

There has to be something that I can do to get the disability that I deserve.

A lot of people have paid, on their own, into long-term disability insurance. It’s a policy that I recommend everyone take out because it can help people in your situation survive. The good news is that you had the insight to know that you should have a disability policy.

But insurance claims adjusters can often make a policyholder feel like an enemy.

Some adjusters have the experience to be able to deny or approve claims with a high level of accuracy. Other adjusters can be rude, ignore what you have to say and focus entirely on you getting back to work. When this happens, your claim may be denied and you may even have your payments denied entirely.

My first course of action would be to consult with your doctor. Does the doctor claim that you will be out of work for the long-term? If the doctor says you can go back to work, fighting a claim will not help you in any way.

However, if the doctor is on your side and claims that you’ll suffer from a long-term disability, it’s wise to appeal the denial.

“Many claimants that we see tell us the same thing – That policy I bought, and paid for privately, or that I that got through my group benefits – the policy should be protecting me… why isn’t it? Why do I feel that my disability claims adjuster is my enemy?” explains Lalande Personal Injury Lawyers.

Insurers want your money, but they often don’t want to pay a policyholder.

One-in-seven people in Canada over the age of 15 have a disability. The terms of a policy are where insurers try their hardest to deny a claim. The insurer may acknowledge that you’re disabled, but you have to prove that through testing. Sometimes, this testing may not be available. The clock is also ticking to appeal the denial.

Exhausting your appeals and then seeking a lawyer is not the answer.

You’ll first want to seek out a lawyer to help you fight back against a claim denial. The good news is that almost every lawyer working with disability claims will offer a free consultation. Use this consultation wisely to be able to determine whether or not you can benefit from fighting a claim.

Lawyers can help you decipher complicated policies that are drafted by lawyers to put restrictions on claims.

So, my advice to you is to find a lawyer in your area and see what the lawyer recommends. Appealing the denial on your own is not recommended. You may exhaust your appeals or wait too long and effectively give up your right to appeal the denial completely.

Previous Story In Memoriam: Dr. Robert Levine article thumbnail mt-3

In Memoriam: Dr. Robert Levine

Next Story How to Create a Soothing Night Routine article thumbnail mt-3

How to Create a Soothing Night Routine