Jun 25, 2019
ToniMarie Munoz (left), a Fresno State senior, speaks about how she has benefited from the Student Cupboard as Fresno State's first lady Mary Castro (right) looks on at the March Match Up result unveiling on April 5, 2019. (Payton Hartung/The Collegian)

March Match Up fundraiser surpasses last year’s total by more than $100,000

The fourth annual March Match Up fundraiser campaign exceeded its goal for 2019 with a total of $252,882, university administration announced at the reveal celebration on April 5.

The campaign, which raises funds for the Fresno State Student Cupboard, surpassed last year’s total of $150,044.

The Student Cupboard provides food and hygiene products for any students who are in need of food security.

At the reveal, Fresno State senior ToniMarie Munoz shared her experience utilizing the Student Cupboard to help her through her junior and senior year.

“Although it didn’t solve all my financial issues throughout my college career, it helped knowing where I could get my next meal, and it saved me from having a lot of stressful days that I could have had,” Munoz said.

Fresno State President Dr. Joseph I. Castro congratulated the community and the donors for supporting the students.

“We are preparing a new generation of bold and grateful leaders who understand what it’s like to receive support, like ToniMarie said, at a crucial time,” Castro said.

The fundraiser partnered with Granville Homes, Moss Adams LLP and an anonymous donor to match dollar for dollar up to $100,000 in gifts for the Student Cupboard. The campaign also included partnerships with vendors like Dutch Bros. and Pieology to raise funds.

Vice President of Student Affairs and Enrollment Management Frank Lamas said that recently, as of the past few months, the Student Cupboard had more than 175,000 visits.

“[It’s] just amazing how this helps student success,” Lamas said. “I say that because I want our donors and everybody who contributed to understand, each and every day, how much you are touching our students and the fact that they can get their education and work a few less hours to do this.”

Previous Story ASI presidential candidates share their visions for future of Fresno State at debate article thumbnail mt-3

ASI presidential candidates share their visions for future of Fresno State at debate

Next Story 8 Must-See Places in Mississippi for Tourists article thumbnail mt-3

8 Must-See Places in Mississippi for Tourists