Oct 16, 2018

Maintaining Your Vehicle’s Value

I’m going to graduate soon, and I’m most likely going to move to a small city or to the suburbs. I’m planning to rent an apartment and work somewhere within commuting distance. But, for most of the jobs and cities I’m considering, that’s going to mean driving. So I’ll have to buy a car–and that has me a little nervous, to be honest. Cars are very expensive! I can afford to get a new car, or at least a used one, especially if I take out a loan. But I’m nervous just thinking about owning something that is so valuable. How can I make sure that I don’t waste or risk my investment in my vehicle unnecessarily?

Over the course of our lives, we’ll occasionally have to make major investments in valuable things. A car is one of those things. There’s nothing wrong with owning something valuable, of course, but you are wise to be thinking through the consequences and consider what you might need to do in order to maximize your investment.

A car is going to depreciate over time in almost every case. New cars lose a large chunk of their value the moment you drive them off the lot, and used cars tend to decrease in value over time (with the very rare exception of ultra-rare collectible vehicles). But that’s okay: you’ll get to make use of your car for as long as it lasts, and you’ll still make at least some of your money back down the line if and when you choose to sell your vehicle to another owner. The idea of responsible car ownership, then, is not to reverse the effects of depreciation but to limit them. You want your vehicle to be as valuable as possible for as long as possible. You want it to run well, remain safe and useful, and look good, too!

So how can you do this? Simple: you invest in regular maintenance and repair for your vehicle. The most important thing that you can do to ensure that your vehicle maintains its value is to work with a trusted mechanic, say the educators at an institute that offers automotive & diesel technology degrees. Don’t skimp on maintenance, and don’t postpone expenditures on necessary repairs. Problems with your vehicle are much more likely to get worse over time than they are to get better, so you will save money if you act fast–and, of course, you’ll better maintain the condition and the value of your vehicle.

Don’t forget about the appearance of your car, either, say detailers who specialize in overspray removal and other cosmetic services for vehicles. How your car looks matters to potential buyers, and regular cosmetic maintenance work–including things as simple as washing your car regularly–can help ensure that your car maintains its value over time.

If you keep up with maintenance and repairs for your car, inside and out, you can trust that you’ll be maintaining the value of your investment as well as possible. In the meantime, of course, protect your valuable vehicle with insurance coverage. If you do all of this, you shouldn’t have to worry about having a lot of value tied up in one possession!

“Well done is better than well said.”  — Benjamin Franklin

Previous Story Arbor Place apartments catch fire, 22 people displaced near campus article thumbnail mt-3

Arbor Place apartments catch fire, 22 people displaced near campus

Next Story This is all the construction happening at Fresno State this summer article thumbnail mt-3

This is all the construction happening at Fresno State this summer