LATEST

Moving With My Maserati

I could use some advice. I just graduated from college, and I plan to move across the country to Los Angeles for my new job. Having my bachelor’s degree feels great. Better still was having my uncle give me his 2011 Maserati GranTurismo, which was unexpected.

He and my parents explained that I would need a car in LA. I heard as much and was planning to get a car anyway, but nothing like a Maserati. The challenge is finding a way to get it to California safe and sound.

I didn’t intend to drive all the way across the country, especially because I already began selling my things thinking I would be flying there. Would driving it myself be the best option? And, if so, could I use it to pull a small U-Haul full of things?

Congratulations on your recent graduation. Earning your bachelor’s degree is often the first step toward a fulfilling career. You’re even more fortunate to have already landed a full-time job. CIO writer, Sharon Florentine, declared two years ago that graduates should prepare for a cutthroat job market. Candidate competitiveness has only increased since then. Forbes contributor, Marissa Peretz, emphasized as much in her more recent article highlighting hiring predictions for 2018. In other words, you’re way ahead of the game, but don’t take it for granted. Things can change faster than you expect.

Moving across the country is no small feat, especially when you have valuable belongings. Having a Maserati GranTurismo qualifies as a valuable belonging. Add that to your shortlist of prized possessions, but be mindful of how much you accumulate. Weight is your enemy when it comes to relocation costs. Thorin Klosowski at LifeHacker describes that amongst a whole slew of challenges you may face when moving across the country. Take his suggestions seriously if you plan to make your move as seamless as possible.

Driving the Maserati across the country sounds like a dream come true for a great many Americans. Paul Theroux at the Wall Street Journal published a fascinating piece about the romance of the American road trip. What freedom and exhilaration such an adventure might bring forth, but the circumstances of your situation would prevent any such reality. You have deadlines to respect (i.e., the first day of your new full-time job) and, more important, have no real infrastructure at your final destination. It’s one thing to treat the journey as a vacation during which you string together a series of temporary stays at hotels, hostels, Airbnb, etc., but that doesn’t align so well with deadlines nor does it support job preparation. All the more reason to avoid a scenic cross-country road trip.

Flying to LA well before the rest of your belongings arrive would let you explore the city and finalize your long-term residential plan. Shipping your Maserati isn’t as complicated is it might seem. There’s no shortage of premium services that offer enclosed auto transport tailored to luxury and sports cars. Taking advantage of them should give you some peace of mind. Anything smaller than that can be shipped with a variety of services. UPack is considered do-it-yourself (DIY) because it requires that you load and unload your own belongings; however, it’s a professional driver that’s responsible for transporting them to their final destination. On the other hand, there are full-service options like Allied, which would relieve you of almost all labor but at a much higher cost.

Another sound strategy is investigating what locals have suggested to newcomers. One such insider perspective was shared by Brandon Cohen on Thrillist. He dispels myths and reveals truths you’d have learned the hard way. Don’t limit yourself to Brandon, alone. Natalie Grigson at Movoto also put together a list of things you should know about LA before moving there. Knowledge is power. Conduct your research well in advance of getting there yourself. Doing so ensures that you can maximize your time and effectiveness.

“My dream car would be a Maserati. That would be amazing.” – Jordana Brewster