Oct 19, 2018

Fantastic Photos

I’ve recently (very recently) started getting into photography. I don’t have any real background in photography, though–I just like taking photos with my phone and stuff like that. What I’d like to do is learn a bit more about the art of photography and start displaying my work in my dorm room for my friends to see. Experts, what kind of advice would you give to a newcomer to photography? How can I learn more about taking better shots, and how can I best display my work?

Photography is a wonderful art form, and taking photographs can be a lot of fun. The best photographers are supremely skilled, but that doesn’t mean that it’s impossible for an amateur to take pleasing and rewarding shots. Far from it–the truth is that a little bit of learning and practice will go a long way towards improving your eye.

Getting started with photography involves a few different things. You’ll most likely want to upgrade your equipment, hone your photography skills, and learn how to display your art.

But where and how can you learn to do these things? One great place to start would be right on your campus. The odds are good that there is already a photography club operating on your campus, which means that you have a great chance to make friends while getting advice from more experienced photographers.

There may also be photography classes available through your university. If your schedule permits, you could take one next semester. If that’s not possible, perhaps the professor would more than likely permit you to sit in on the class and audit it.

Resources like these, along with a wealth of websites and books on photography, are a great way to get advice and instruction related to equipment and photography techniques.

Once you’ve begun to take photos you’re really proud of, you’ll probably want to share them with your friends and family. There are a lot of great ways to do this online, including popular social media sites like Instagram as well as more specialized sites that cater specifically to photographers, including passionate amateurs and paid professionals.

You may also want to enter photography contests, which can offer a fun way to get feedback and exposure while competing for prizes. As you improve, check out local galleries, too–as well as local coffee shops and similar establishments, which may allow you to use their walls to display (and even sell) your art.

And, of course, you can decorate your own walls with your photographs. This can mean anything from simply printing your work on photo paper and framing it to putting your photos on quality canvas prints. If you have a roommate, perhaps he or she can offer some input on your work while you choose some photos to display (and perhaps he or she will want to display a few in the personal space, too).

Good luck! Exploring a new hobby is exciting and rewarding, and photography has a lot to offer those who are curious and committed enough to discover its tricks and techniques.

“Which of my photographs is my favorite? The one I’m going to take tomorrow.” — Imogen Cunningham

Previous Story Mixed Emotions About MMA article thumbnail mt-3

Mixed Emotions About MMA

Next Story Digital Tips, Tricks And Trends article thumbnail mt-3

Digital Tips, Tricks And Trends