One Down, Eight to Go

This week has been one of the most difficult that I can remember. I learned on Monday that my childhood cat, Eggroll, passed away in his sleep. He was an energetic and mischievous tabby cat with uncharacteristically big ears and an even bigger personality.

I was still in elementary school when my parents adopted him from the SPCA. He was only a kitten then, abandoned by his former owners alongside some random dirt road. The joy and responsibility of taking care of him were overwhelming and instructive.

He always kept me company during my loneliest days and nights. I’ve cried, laughed, and yelled because of him. I’ll miss him so very much. My parents told me that I now have to decide what to do with his remains. The thought of seeing his tiny lifeless body isn’t a pleasant one, but I know he deserves a proper burial and I should be there.

Is there really such a thing as a traditional pet funeral as there would be with a deceased person?

Losing an animal companion is difficult for any pet owner to endure with grace. We naturally imbue our pets with undying affection and unconditional love. They’re usually more than willing to reciprocate our love and affection. They’re more often than not mainstays in our daily lives. As a result, coping with their deaths and the permanent absence that follows is no trivial pursuit.

Similar to losing a close friend or family member, you can expect to face an uphill grieving process. Successfully managing that grief and heartache depends on several factors. Much of your recovery will be driven by your capacity to confront and accept the new reality at hand. However, that doesn’t mean that you have to overcome the emotional and psychological turmoils all by lonesome. You shouldn’t be afraid to tap into friends, family, and support groups.

Deciding what to do with Eggroll’s bodily remains won’t be easy but there’s a multitude of options available. At first, you might consider these common burial ideas, some of which are what you’d refer to as “traditional pet funerals.” Some of the burial options are likely to be more realistic to you than others, but make no mistake: there’s significant money to be made in our ceremoniously departed pets.

The trend isn’t all that troubling or surprising. Some pet owners spare no expense when it comes to memorializing their furry companions. The decision is ultimately a personal one with little room for external judgment. Say, for instance, that you resist the more traditional burials that demand a permanent grave site. Fortunately, cremation happens to be a very popular and cost-effective alternative.

That may be more appealing because you could preserve his memory wherever you travel, which is completely impossible if you resort to a traditional burial. In other words, researching various pet cremation services is probably a worthwhile endeavor. Document what you find and what questions you have for future reference. Anticipate discussing these things openly with your parents before coming to a final conclusion.

“Time spent with cats is never wasted.” — Sigmund Freud