LATEST

Moving Mania

Sponsored Advertising Content

“Ask The Experts” is written and provided by Scholarship Media. It does not reflect the views of The Collegian or its advertisers.

I graduate in a week, and yesterday I was offered an amazing job, complete with a strong starting salary and benefits — all the way across the country. I start just a few days after graduation. I’m so exciting for this job, but I’m crazy stressed about moving. I don’t know anything about my new city, I don’t have a place to live yet, and I’m not sure what to do with all of my belongings here. Do you have any advice as to how to handle such a fast-and-furious relocating process?

Congratulations on getting an amazing job! Moving is always stressful, and having to do so at such short notice can really put a damper on the excitement of this new opportunity. There are definitely some areas to start addressing as soon as you can to make the moving process easier.

Go ahead and contact a real estate service now. Let them know when you’re coming, and start looking for places immediately. In the meantime, you might also get hold of your company, and see if they can arrange for temporary housing for you or at least get you set up with some options. Looking for a place to live will be a good way to get to know the city quickly. According to the realtors at SW Ohio Real Estate, a good real estate agent will know as much about the city and what specific neighborhoods have to offer as he or she will about a specific property. And it might be worth it to invest in a good home; Americans are moving less than ever, and a lot of that is because millennials are staying put. Despite the stereotype that people your age like to job-hop, there’s evidence out there that millennials are actually pretty likely to remain loyal to their job.

As for your belongings, you might consider stashing them in a storage unit until family or friends can ship them out to you. This may be easier than trying to drive a UHaul cross country, especially if you don’t yet have a set place to live. If you can keep your things in your current property for just a bit longer, you can hire a moving service. Moving service professionals make it clear that many companies out there offer full-service moving, which includes packing and unpacking the furniture and belongings, so that you don’t have to do almost any of the work. This may be really helpful for you, since you’ll be focusing most of your time and energy getting acquainted with your new job.

Making friends and developing a social life in a new place can be tricky, so take advantage of any company happy hours or get-togethers. Don’t be afraid to ask colleagues to join you for lunch. 42% of working adults don’t consider their colleagues to be close friends, so while you should definitely foster good relationships at work, don’t be daunted if it takes a while. In the meantime, there are other ways to get involved in your new community. Check out meet-up sites to find groups of people who have similar interests as you. This could be a really good opportunity to investigate a new hobby, especially if it is one you can do in a group setting. You might consider volunteering with the local YMCA, Boys and Girls Club, or groups such as Rotary International. You can start researching these organizations before you leave. You might consider scheduling in a visit to a meet-up group even before you get to your new city.

“I give you this to take with you: Nothing remains as it was. If you know this, you can begin again, with pure joy in the uprooting,” Judith Minty