On Friday, libertarian student group Young Americans for Liberty (YAL) will be holding a rally in the Free Speech Area at 9:30 a.m. according to a news release.
Here are five things to know about the group:
- The YAL were in the news recently for holding an “Affirmative Action Bake Sale” on various campuses in an effort to bring attention to Affirmative Action and the “injustice” that they believe lies behind it.
- Chapter members of YAL have supported Milo Yiannopoulos, an anti-feminist and vocal proponent against Black Lives Matter, who is gay and conservative.
- The group was started in 2008 after Ron Paul’s presidential campaign. It has almost 13,000 due-paying members, described on their website as “activists.”
- After 247 chapters of YAL had been banned from on-campus organizing due to speech codes, they have since begun a campaign in favor of “free speech” on college campuses.
- The group will be rolling a “free speech” ball and raising awareness about “unconsitutional free speech policies” at Friday’s event.