LATEST NEWS:

The 80s called

If you’re like me, you’re obsessed with a decade before your years. For me, it’s the 80s. The style, the music, the movies, the attitude and the lifestyle. Yes, the hair metal, big hair and cheesy movies about rebellious kids in detention on a Saturday finding common ground, too.

I want to share with you some of my favorite 80s nostalgia so you can get a glimpse into one of the best decades that our parents got to live through. #Jealous

St. Elmo’s Fire

(Photo by Vanity Fair)

This movie has it all. Cheesy theme song, fingerless gloves, post-college angst and a love triangle. This movie stars various Brat Pack members: Emilio Estevez, Rob Lowe, Andrew McCarthy, Demi Moore, Judd Nelson, Ally Sheedy and Mare Winningham.

I can’t put my finger on why I love this movie so much, but something tells me it has to do with McCarthy’s character Kevin’s lack of enthusiasm toward love and relationships. It’s different because most 80s movies have a theme of love conquering all, but this character’s attitude lightens the mood of the movie. Often times the theme of love can get you down, but McCarthy impassions you to feel you don’t need to be loved to be happy. Sometimes that’s a nice reminder to have.

The overall theme of the movie is really to find yourself after college, not settle or feel stuck in a situation that doesn’t fulfill or make you completely happy. Demi Moore’s character, Jules, struggles financially after being cut off by her wealthy parents. Something many young adults can struggle with. Not all, but many of us are aided by our parents in some way or another and navigating through the end of the help… can be hard.

Hair Metal

(Photo by Rolling Stone)

Above is one of the most influential rock bands of the 80s. Any guesses? I’ll wait. Just look at the guitar stripes on the left – It’s Van Halen! Although they formed in ‘72, the 80s is when they were the most successful.

Now, I don’t want to give Van Halen credit for the entire 80s hair metal movement, however the group has numerous top hits such as: Panama, Jamie’s Cryin’, Jump, Eruption, Runnin’ with the Devil and of course, Hot for Teacher.

So why is this music on the list? Hair metal was all about taking the serious matters in life and making them simpler. Take love for example: Love is a heavy, complicated topic, as we all know. But add some guitar riffs and screamin’ vocals, you have an anthem to sing along to in the car while your heart is on the mend.

The rest of the lyrics of various artists have to do with women, drugs and partying, mostly. I definitely don’t live my life the way these rock stars did. I am more of a straightlaced person, however, listening to this music can make you feel the edge that the rock stars had. I would say you can live somewhat vicariously through them – which is pretty cool in my eyes… and ears.

A few hair metal music recommendations I have are: Mötley Crüe, Scorpions, Def Leppard, Guns N’ Roses, Kiss and Ratt.

Eclectic Fashion

(Photo by Marie Claire)

I guess you can say the above fashion is Madonna-inspired. Madonna inspired thousands of women in the 80s to be “Like a Virgin” and wear crosses and fishnets as fashion statements.

Down to the big hair and lace gloves, fashion trends were at an all time high. Everyone was influenced from music, movies and MTV. Nowadays, style is taken a little bit from everything we see around us, it’s more ambiguous.

In the 80s, you had the mods, stoners, rockers, valley girls, jocks, stellas and more. You were defined by your style.

Are you a female with a blonde buzz cut? Oh, you must be a fan of Annie Lennox. Are you a using extreme amounts of gel in your hair to get it to stick straight up? You must be a Flock of Seagulls or Billy Idol fan. Are you wearing a lace bow in your big, curly hair? Madonna fan. Structured-leather jacket? You must be a Michael Jackson fan.

Fashion was one of, if not the most defining aspects of the 80s. You could express your interests, attitude and like of music through your style. It was truly an age of expression.

These are only three reasons why I love this decade full of excess, spandex and loud music. Do you have a favorite decade? If so, why?