Former Fresno State linebackers Kyrie Wilson (17) and Ejiro Ederaine (31) were among the seven Bulldogs that signed with NFL teams as undrafted free agents. (Darlene Wendels/The Collegian)
Despite no former Bulldogs having their names called in last week’s NFL Draft – ending the program’s 15-year run of having at least one player drafted – seven signed with teams as undrafted free agents.
Those picked up on Saturday immediately after the draft include outside linebacker Ejiro Ederaine, who signed with the Redskins followed by fellow linebacker Kyrie Wilson (Raiders), defensive back Charles Washington (Lions), punter Garrett Swanson (Cardinals) and long snapper Dylan Detwiler (Chiefs).
The following day, offensive lineman Alex Fifita signed with the Falcons, defensive lineman Claudell Louis was picked up by the Bills and running back Marteze Waller earned invites to both the Browns and Packers minicamps.
Up next for the former ‘Dogs is rookie minicamp, a three-day event that takes place May 6-9 for some clubs and May 13-16 for others.
Dylan Detwiler – Kansas City Chiefs
- Served as the team’s primary long snapper for three and a half seasons.
- Played in 45 games.
- Elected team captain as a senior by his peers.
Ejiro Ederaine – Washington Redskins
- Two-time, second-team All-Mountain West selection (2013, 2015).
- Finished collegiate career with 45.5 tackles for a loss, ranking No. 2 all-time in Mountain West history.
- Recorded 21.0 sacks in his career, ranking in a tie for No. 6 all-time in school history.
- At the time his career ended he ranked No. 3 among all active FBS players in career tackles for a loss and No. 10 in total sacks.
- Started in 36 consecutive games to close out his career.
- Posted 229 career tackles, 45.5 tackles for a loss, 21.0 sacks, three forced fumbles, five quarterback hurries and two interceptions.
- Recorded 10 or more tackles in seven different games in his career.
Alex Fifita – Atlanta Falcons
- 2015 second-team All-Mountain and 2013 All-MW honorable mention.
- Made 32 starts (26 consecutive) and played in 47 games.
- Was not called for a holding penalty in 2015 and was flagged for a false start twice.
Claudell Louis – Buffalo Bills
- 2015 All-Mountain West honorable mention.
- Started all 12 games at defensive end in 2015.
- As a junior-transfer, played in 26 of 26 career games.
- Owned the eighth-most sacks (5.0) by a defensive linemen in the Mountain West in 2015.
- His 47 tackles in 2015 tied for the eighth-most among all defensive linemen in the MW.
Garrett Swanson – Arizona Cardinals
- Played in a 2016 senior class high, 52 games.
- 2014 All-Mountain West honorable mention.
- Owned a career average 41.8 yards per punt on 202 career attempts.
- Single-season average high was in 2014 with 43.1 yards per punt – ranks No. 6 for best avg. in school history.
- Three of his 67 punts in 2015 went for touchback and 18 were downed inside the 20.
Marteze Waller – Two minicamp invites: Green Bay Packers, Cleveland Browns
- Recorded 3,108 career yards – fourth-most in school history.
- 2014 second-team All-Mountain West.
- Ranked No. 15 in FBS football for single-season yardage in 2014 with 1,368 yards.
- Single-game high for yards was 164, at Boise State in 2014.
- Started 26 games and played in 47.
Charles Washington – Detroit Lions
- Made 38 starts and played in 50 games.
- Recorded 202 career tackles and 14.0 for a loss.
- Owned three career interceptions.
- Used as a multi-purpose defensive back – starting 24 games at safety, 13 at cornerback and one at nickelback.
Kyrie Wilson – Oakland Raiders
- Made 38 starts and played in 51 games.
- Posted 278 career tackles – No. 11 in school history.
- Registered 17.0 career tackles for a loss and 4.5 career sacks.
- Single-game high for tackles was 13, set at the 2014 season opener at USC.