Fresno State Plant Operations employee Gabriel Valencia takes pictures of the burned items in the display case in the Science building after a short-circuit caught fire on Sunday night. Photo Roe Borunda
The Fresno Fire Department responded to a call from the University Police Department Sunday evening to put out a fire in the Science building that started in a display.
Students first noticed a mountain ecosystem display smoking at about 5:30 p.m. on the second floor of the Science building. The case held taxidermy animals. A light in a ballast got hot and instead of shorting out, it caught fire.
Fresno Fire Department spokesman John Creasy said 12 firefighters responded to the fire and it was put out with fire extinguishers. Creasy said the fire was contained to the single case and that the concrete building would make it difficult for the fire to spread.
Gabriel Valencia, a Plant Operations employee, said the ballasts were nearly 30 years old and that it would cost less than $200 to replace.
University police were unavailable to comment on this story.
No one was injured.