Soccer: ‘Dogs continue winning streak with two home wins
The Bulldogs women’s soccer team battled their way to a .500 record last weekend, with two big victories over the Utah State Aggies and Boise State Broncos.
“We have been playing with more and more discipline in every match,” said Fresno State coach Brian Zwaschka.
Last Friday night’s match against the Aggies went the distance — regulation ended in a 0-0 tie.
In the 94th minute, Fresno State senior Shonice Myers scored off a header from a ball thrown in by Ariana Holmes.
It was the Bulldogs’ second straight overtime victory at Bulldog Stadium.
“We knew it was going to be a challenging game,” Zwaschka said. “We were looking for a killer finish at some point.”
Goalkeeper Katie DeVault had four saves during the game and is now second all-time in saves for the Bulldogs.
“[DeVault] was razor sharp tonight and we needed that,” Zwaschka said.
On Sunday, the Bulldogs beat the Broncos 2-1 after trailing 1-0.
Boise State sophomore forward KT Clayton socred the first goal of the game in the 10th minute.
In the 43rd minute, senior Morgan Castain scored her ninth goal of the season, leading the Mountain West Conference.
In the 46th minute, senior Megan Mossman came off the bench and scored the game-leading goal off a Castain assist.
“Our bench might as well be starters because they have been getting significant minutes,” Zwaschka said “We aren’t surprised that [Mossman] came off and got a goal.”
The Bulldogs will hit the road this weekend to face Wyoming and Air Force.
Big House near FSU.
3/2, 2 car garage.
$1,250 a month/ $1,200 deposit.
Call Mike Brasil 408-230-4139
- Mountain West Victory!
- Holiday Products at The Rue and Gwen Gibson Farm Market
- High hopes, greater humility: Fresno State All-American seeks success
- A Taste from the ‘Holy Grail’ [gallery]
- Faculty have mixed reviews of Rate My Professors
- Fresno State community remembers Mandela
- Freeze worries Central Valley, Fresno State farmers
- ‘Helping Hams’ for families on Christmas
- The end: Assessing my education
- Football: Fresno State faces USC in Las Vegas Bowl
- Debaters take issue with scoring system, perceptions
- Alumni find success in business