Volleyball: Bulldogs fall to Broncos
The Fresno State Bulldogs women’s volleyball team ended the weekend 1-1 with a loss to the Boise State Broncos.
The Mountain West Conference (MWC) matchup was a five-set battle that saw 29 tie scores and 12 lead changes. Fresno State took sets 1 and 3, while Boise State won the second, fourth and fifth frames.
Despite falling short, the Bulldogs had more kills (70), assists (67), aces (5) and digs (84) than the Broncos.
The loss, said Fresno State coach Lauren Netherby-Sewell, was frustrating.
“We should have closed them out in set 3, but didn’t do it,” she said. “In set 5, we didn’t side out as well as they did, so this is a painful loss.”
Senior outside hitter Korrin Wild led the team with 20 kills and added 15 digs to get her fifth double-double of the season.
Right side hitter Holly Franks and outside hitter Marissa Brand also had double-doubles. Franks had 18 kills and 14 digs, both second-best on the team. She led the team with three service aces, which were recorded in the first set.
Brand hit .471 in the match and tallied 17 kills and 15 digs. It was her 32nd double-double of her career.
“Our fans got to see a lot of our strengths tonight,” she said. “I was really proud of how our team battled back in the fifth set after getting down, and our players really showed the Bulldog spirit.”
For Boise State, the victory snapped a six-match losing streak to the Bulldogs. Junior outside hitter Alyssa Gammel had the only double-double for the team with 16 kills and 18 digs.
The Bulldogs will now hit the road to visit San Diego State and UNLV next weekend.
Big House near FSU.
3/2, 2 car garage.
$1,250 a month/ $1,200 deposit.
Call Mike Brasil 408-230-4139
- Mountain West Victory!
- Holiday Products at The Rue and Gwen Gibson Farm Market
- High hopes, greater humility: Fresno State All-American seeks success
- A Taste from the ‘Holy Grail’ [gallery]
- Faculty have mixed reviews of Rate My Professors
- Fresno State community remembers Mandela
- Freeze worries Central Valley, Fresno State farmers
- ‘Helping Hams’ for families on Christmas
- The end: Assessing my education
- Football: Fresno State faces USC in Las Vegas Bowl
- Debaters take issue with scoring system, perceptions
- Alumni find success in business