Softball: Martin earns MWC player of the week honors
Fresno State third baseman Vonnie Martin was named Mountain West Conference Player of the Week for games through April 14.
Martin and the Bulldogs capped the weekend with a three-game sweep over Boise State, their first Mountain West series sweep of the season.
Martin batted .462 (6-of-13) with five RBIs, three runs scored and one walk while helping Fresno State post a 3-1 record last week. The Plano, Texas, native pounded out three doubles while recording at least one hit in each of the four games, finishing with on-base and slugging percentages of .500 and .692, respectively.
Martin opened the week by going 2-for-4 with one double and one run scored in a 5-4 nonconference loss at CSU Bakersfield on Wednesday. In the Bulldogs’ three-game weekend series against Boise State, she combined for a 4-for-9 effort at the plate as Fresno State registered its first Mountain West sweep.
Martin went 2-for-3 with one double, one RBI and one run scored in Friday’s 5-0 victory. On Saturday, she went 1-for-4 while driving in a pair of runs en route to the 7-4 win.
In Sunday’s series finale, Martin went 1-for-2 with a double, two RBIs, one run scored and one walk as the Bulldogs sealed the sweep with a 3-1 victory. Defensively, Martin recorded three putouts and eight assists with one error from her third base position.
Fresno State improved to 25-18 overall and 6-3 in conference play.
The Bulldogs will play a conference road series against Colorado State (18-19, 4-2 MWC) this weekend.
Big House near FSU.
3/2, 2 car garage.
$1,250 a month/ $1,200 deposit.
Call Mike Brasil 408-230-4139
- Mountain West Victory!
- Holiday Products at The Rue and Gwen Gibson Farm Market
- High hopes, greater humility: Fresno State All-American seeks success
- A Taste from the ‘Holy Grail’ [gallery]
- Faculty have mixed reviews of Rate My Professors
- Fresno State community remembers Mandela
- Freeze worries Central Valley, Fresno State farmers
- ‘Helping Hams’ for families on Christmas
- The end: Assessing my education
- Football: Fresno State faces USC in Las Vegas Bowl
- Debaters take issue with scoring system, perceptions
- Alumni find success in business