Softball: Bulldogs avoid series road sweep
What could have turned out to be a terrible weekend for the Fresno State softball team was salvaged by a come-from-behind behind victory over UNLV on Sunday in Las Vegas.
In their first MWC road series, the Bulldogs lost two of three to the Rebels to see their record fall to 3-3 and 22-17 overall.
The Bulldogs looked like they were on their way to being swept after putting themselves in a 4-0 hole after the first inning of Sunday’s game.
But powered by the long ball, Fresno State rallied for a 6-4 victory.
Stesha Brazil blasted a home run in the top of the seventh inning, breaking a 4-4 tie and Hannah Harris shut down the Rebels in the bottom half of the inning to leave Las Vegas with one victory.
“Stesha has been hitting the ball hard all weekend, so it was nice to see it pay off for her,” Michelle Solomon said.
Brazil hit the game-winning home run, but Solomon had a dramatic blast of her own in the third inning.
Trailing 4-0, the Bulldogs loaded the bases with two outs to set up Solomon, who blasted her second career grand slam to give her team new life.
“First off, my teammates got on base before me with two outs, which was awesome,” Solomon said. “It couldn’t have happened without my teammates. I just swung and wanted to hit the ball hard.”
Up next for the Bulldogs is a nonconference game at CSU Bakersfield on Wednesday.
They return home to host Boise State for a three-game series beginning Friday.
And they will do it feeling a lot better about themselves after leaving Las Vegas with at least one victory.
“It was big for us to get the win,” Solomon said. “We were struggling a little bit this weekend, but we didn’t want to feel the way we did after the first two games. We put our heart out on the field and did our best.”
Big House near FSU.
3/2, 2 car garage.
$1,250 a month/ $1,200 deposit.
Call Mike Brasil 408-230-4139
- KEEPING CALM: Fresno State defense hopes to regain composure with MW title on line
- Electrical grid sustains second failure in less than a year
- Women’s Basketball: ‘Dogs rout San Diego Christian
- Football: Q&A with Utah State’s newspaper
- South Africa’s uniter dies at 95
- Senator visits dairy, talks farm bill’s impact
- Holiday gift options for ‘Dogs at the ‘Kennel’
- Students light up Christmas Tree Lane
- Too much caffeine: dangerous?
- Weekend Wonders: from Christmas to the zoo
- The idle society: Why the Puritans had the right idea
- Wrestling: By not reinstating this NCAA sport, Fresno State is alienating spectators and athletes