Equestrian: Fresno State falls to No. 3 Georgia
The Fresno State equestrian team got back in the saddle on Saturday, getting two key performances from junior Lauren Crivelli and senior Lanie Madrazo.
However, against the Georgia Bulldogs, it wasn’t enough. Fresno State lost to third-ranked Georgia 12-4 Saturday at the Student Horse Center – its first home competition of the season.
“On the flat, I thought we had really good trips,” said Fresno State coach Collins Daye, who rode collegiately at Georgia.
“I think in the reining and the horsemanship we had some nice trips. Good competition against the University of Georgia. They’re a great team. You can’t make silly mistakes against a team that strong.”
Fresno State received its strongest performances of the competition from Crivelli and Madrazo, whose performance on Equitation on the Flat earned her Most Valuable Player honors for that event.
Madrazo scored an event-high 78 on the flat, which helped Fresno State tie Georgia 2-2 in the event. Madrazo won her point against Georgia’s Caitlyn Francis on her horse, Nottingham. Macy Wilson earned Fresno State’s other point on the flat with a score of 70.
Crivelli scored a 74 in reining – where she swiftly exhibited a sliding stop on horse Summer – the highest score in the event by two points.
“Lauren rocked my socks today,” Daye said. “She was a little frustrated after her horsemanship go and she came out determined to go get it and she did.”
Georgia, ranked No. 3 in the nation by the National Collegiate Equestrian Association, held a 7-1 advantage at the conclusion of the Equitation Over Fences and Horsemanship events.
It was in Equitation Over Fences where the Bulldogs faced their greatest challenge. Georgia swept Fresno State 4-0 in that event.
Kirsten McKillop scored a 75.5 on Horsemanship and was the only Fresno State Bulldog to score a point in the event.
Fresno State hosts Auburn and Kansas State next Friday.
“We’re going to definitely be more consistent with what we do in the ring and work harder than last week so we can perform our best next week,” Madrazo said.
Big House near FSU.
3/2, 2 car garage.
$1,250 a month/ $1,200 deposit.
Call Mike Brasil 408-230-4139
- Football: Fresno State faces USC in Las Vegas Bowl
- Debaters take issue with scoring system, perceptions
- Alumni find success in business
- Carolyn Coon takes interim role with Oliaro retirement
- Workshop to educate students about drought
- Fresno State wins inaugural Mountain West Championship Game
- Road to Vegas [gallery]
- KEEPING CALM: Fresno State defense hopes to regain composure with MW title on line
- Electrical grid sustains second failure in less than a year
- Women’s Basketball: ‘Dogs rout San Diego Christian
- Football: Q&A with Utah State’s newspaper
- South Africa’s uniter dies at 95