Swim and Dive: Seniors to be honored this weekend
Saturday marks senior day for the Fresno State swimming and diving team as they take on UC Davis.
This will be the Bulldogs’ first meet in their home pool since Oct. 27, when they took on Fresno Pacific and Nevada. Coach Jeanne Fleck is not concerned about any added jitters.
“They love being at home, so I don’t think there’s pressure at all,” Fleck said.
“They get excited. They’re used to our pool. They’re used to the walls. They’re used to everything.”
Lucy Titchin, a sophomore sprint freestyler, is happy the team doesn’t have to travel for Saturday’s meet.
“I like being at home,” Titchin said, “It’s nice because you don’t have to travel a lot or worry about sitting on a bus for hours. I like having some people come watch that I actually know. It should be fun.”
This dual meet will also mark the last home meet for six seniors on the roster. For Fleck, emotions have been high this week.
“This group means a lot to this program because they were my first recruiting class, so it’s a big deal,” Fleck said. “They have built this program on their backs. They took a chance on me when I didn’t have a team. They all signed early, so they hadn’t seen any results. They didn’t know what we could do here. They were it. So, for me, it’s a pretty emotional week.”
Titchin will miss having the seniors, whom she looks up to, around.
“Especially Dani [Yoho] for me, because we’re both freestylers,” Titchin said.
“I’ve had her to look up to, especially in terms of sprint, because she’s pretty quick. It’s been nice to have someone to aspire to be.”
It has not been an easy season for the Bulldogs to this point, but Fleck is hopes that they can turn it around.
“We’ve had some ups and downs,” Fleck said. “I would say that I thought our meet in November where we rested a little bit in Houston was awesome. We’ve had great swims. I feel like we’re still trying to get to that point where we’re ready for the conference meet and we’re not quite there yet.”
Fleck said that hosting UC Davis is going to make for a tough meet, though is optimistic that they will be able to hold their own in the pool.
“It’s going to be difficult,” Fleck said. “UC Davis is a very, very tough team.
“They’ve been around for a really long time. They have depth that we don’t have yet. But what I want to see out of everyone is that they’re out there racing and putting themselves in the situation that they can win some races.”
Fresno State will take on UC Davis on Saturday at noon in the Fresno State Aquatics Center.
The Six Seniors
• Stacy Luke, diving
• Rayanne Nguyen, butterfly
• Jen Hicks, distance
• Britney Vogel, breakstroke and individual medley
•Haley Washburn, breaststroke and individual medley
• Dani Yoho, sprint freestyle
- MW Tournament update: ’Dogs eliminate Wolf Pack to stay in the hunt
- Mountain West Tournament: Opening loss to Nevada places ’Dogs in must-win scenario
- UC San Francisco vice chancellor Joseph Castro returns to Valley roots as Fresno State’s next president
- CSU Trustees name UC San Francisco vice chancellor Joseph Castro as new Fresno State president
- ‘Star Trek Into Darkness’ review: Boldly takes audiences on a fun and exciting ride
- Fresno State AD Thomas Boeh withdraws candidacy from Rutgers’ athletic director position
- ‘The Great Gatsby’ review: More good than great
- Baseball: Big hits from Viers, Judge push Bulldogs to win
- Club Sports: Champion rodeo rider Uhuru Adem overcomes adversities
- Track and Field: ‘Dogs fine tune for MW championships
- Preview: 2013 Mountain West Conference Baseball Championships
- Commentary: Don’t count them out yet