Alcantara caps senior season with all-MWC honors
Senior setter Barbara Alcantara, a captain on this year’s Fresno State volleyball team, ended her career as a Bulldog with a bang.
Alcantara earned All-Mountain West Conference honors to cap a senior campaign in which she averaged a conference-leading 11.2 assists per set.
The Mountain West All-Conference Women’s Volleyball awards, with a selection panel that includes the nine head coaches in the conference, made the announcement.
Alcantara is the first Fresno State volleyball player to receive the honor.
The Bulldogs finished 18-13 overall and 9-7 in conference play in their first year as members of the Mountain West.
Alcantara finished with 1,348 assists this season, which leads the Mountain West and ranks 28th in the nation.
Fresno State concluded its regular season Friday in a 3-2 win against Boise State at the Save Mart Center. In her final match as a Bulldog, Alcantara recorded her ninth double-double of the season with 49 assists and 10 digs.
Her performance against the Broncos helped earn her Mountain West Women’s Volleyball Player of the Week honors for the week of Nov. 19-25.
Prior to joining the Bulldogs, Alcantara helped lead the College of Southern Idaho to the Division I semifinals in the 2009 NJCAA national tournament.
Big House near FSU.
3/2, 2 car garage.
$1,250 a month/ $1,200 deposit.
Call Mike Brasil 408-230-4139
- Holiday Products at The Rue and Gwen Gibson Farm Market
- High hopes, greater humility: Fresno State All-American seeks success
- A Taste from the ‘Holy Grail’ [gallery]
- Faculty have mixed reviews of Rate My Professors
- Fresno State community remembers Mandela
- Freeze worries Central Valley, Fresno State farmers
- ‘Helping Hams’ for families on Christmas
- The end: Assessing my education
- Football: Fresno State faces USC in Las Vegas Bowl
- Debaters take issue with scoring system, perceptions
- Alumni find success in business
- Carolyn Coon takes interim role with Oliaro retirement