Alcantara caps senior season with all-MWC honors
Senior setter Barbara Alcantara, a captain on this year’s Fresno State volleyball team, ended her career as a Bulldog with a bang.
Alcantara earned All-Mountain West Conference honors to cap a senior campaign in which she averaged a conference-leading 11.2 assists per set.
The Mountain West All-Conference Women’s Volleyball awards, with a selection panel that includes the nine head coaches in the conference, made the announcement.
Alcantara is the first Fresno State volleyball player to receive the honor.
The Bulldogs finished 18-13 overall and 9-7 in conference play in their first year as members of the Mountain West.
Alcantara finished with 1,348 assists this season, which leads the Mountain West and ranks 28th in the nation.
Fresno State concluded its regular season Friday in a 3-2 win against Boise State at the Save Mart Center. In her final match as a Bulldog, Alcantara recorded her ninth double-double of the season with 49 assists and 10 digs.
Her performance against the Broncos helped earn her Mountain West Women’s Volleyball Player of the Week honors for the week of Nov. 19-25.
Prior to joining the Bulldogs, Alcantara helped lead the College of Southern Idaho to the Division I semifinals in the 2009 NJCAA national tournament.
- ‘Star Trek Into Darkness’ review: Boldly takes audiences on a fun and exciting ride
- Fresno State AD Thomas Boeh withdraws candidacy from Rutgers’ athletic director position
- ‘The Great Gatsby’ review: More good than great
- Baseball: Big hits from Viers, Judge push Bulldogs to win
- Club Sports: Champion rodeo rider Uhuru Adem overcomes adversities
- Track and Field: ‘Dogs fine tune for MW championships
- Preview: 2013 Mountain West Conference Baseball Championships
- Commentary: Don’t count them out yet
- Campus tech leader Russell Perry remembered
- Dog House cancels pre-graduation celebration
- The Legacy of John D. Welty
- Dear Mr. President, do you not know?