Recent gas price averages flirt with Fresno’s all-time high
In Fresno, the current average price per gallon for regular gasoline spiked 45.9 cents from last month’s average, according to the AAA’s Fuel Gauge Report.
As of Thursday, the average price for regular gas in Fresno was $4.606 per gallon. The average for this week has been sitting slightly below the record high: $4.633 per gallon on June 21, 2008.
Tuesday’s state average of $4.671 set a new record high for California. California’s average is the highest in the nation by 24 cents (Hawaii, $4.659). California is one of six states with a gas price average higher than $4.
According to The New York Times, the rise in gas prices in California has been blamed on problems with two California oil refineries.
Two months ago, a fire stopped production at a major refinery in the Bay Area. The refinery will remain closed the rest of the year.
Another incident occurred recently when a refinery in Torrance lost power. Production has since then resumed.
The recent instantaneous surge in gas prices affects students who commute to Fresno State.
Jose Garcia, a junior natural science major, is one of many students who commute from out of town. Garcia drives to campus each weekday from Dinuba—a 45-minute trip, he said.
“It’s bad because you’re wasting a lot of money on gas. It’s bad for your money,” Garcia said.
Just a week ago Fresno’s regular gas price average was at $4.267. Last year, at $3.776, the gas price average was considerably lower. The national price average for regular gas is $3.813 per gallon.
“It adds up,” Garcia said. “Those 50 cents, they add up. You don’t put as much gas as you used to.
“It’s definitely something that bothers you. Hopefully this thing doesn’t last for long.”
Big House near FSU.
3/2, 2 car garage.
$1,250 a month/ $1,200 deposit.
Call Mike Brasil 408-230-4139
- Football: Fresno State faces USC in Las Vegas Bowl
- Debaters take issue with scoring system, perceptions
- Alumni find success in business
- Carolyn Coon takes interim role with Oliaro retirement
- Workshop to educate students about drought
- Fresno State wins inaugural Mountain West Championship Game
- Road to Vegas [gallery]
- KEEPING CALM: Fresno State defense hopes to regain composure with MW title on line
- Electrical grid sustains second failure in less than a year
- Women’s Basketball: ‘Dogs rout San Diego Christian
- Football: Q&A with Utah State’s newspaper
- South Africa’s uniter dies at 95