Religious preachers cause a scene in Free Speech Area

By | March 15, 2012 | News

“Sister Pat” holds a controversial sign in the Free Speech Area.
Esteban Cortez / The Collegian

Campus Ministry USA has been preaching on campuses for nearly four decades

“Sister Pat” proudly held a bright-yellow sign with bold red and black letters that read, “YOU DESERVE HELL” during the past four days on campus.

Pat has visited hundreds of university campuses during the past 35 years to spread the message of Jesus Christ, but her message isn’t always received well.

She and her travel partner George Smock have been preaching their blunt, controversial messages in the Fresno State Free Speech Area, but ended their stay just yesterday.

Pat, who refused to give her full name, is a member of Campus Ministry USA, a Missouri-based organization that strives to persuade college students to read the Bible and “repent their sins.”

Their week-long stay on campus has caused some criticism and occasional heated debates.

“We’re not pushing a denomination,” Pat said. “We want these students to make decisions on their own.”

Pat and Smock spent several hours a day on campus since Monday, using what they call “confrontational evangelicism,” a more aggressive form of preaching Christianity. They’ve been preaching on U.S. campuses for nearly four decades, and they’re used to the criticism they receive.

Political science student and Associated Students, Inc. Senator of Resident Affairs Sean Kiernan opposed the group’s message and held a sign near the speakers that read, “You deserve hugs!” on Thursday.

“The idea that we are doomed for hell is absurd and there is no substantive reason to believe that,” Kiernan said. “Other people, including other Christians, think [the speakers] are too extreme.”

Kiernan said that a lot of students have hugged and thanked him for contributing his message.

Alejandro Vidal, a Fresno State student and member of the Christian fraternity Alpha Gamma Omega, supported Campus Ministry USA’s message. He said that Pat and Smock needed a little help conveying their beliefs in better terms, so he and his friends held signs near the speakers in support of Jesus Christ.

“We’re just trying to complete their message,” Vidal said. “We just love Jesus.”

Campus Ministry USA has traveled throughout the United States and the world, going as far as Ghana to defend and glorify God. Pat and Smock were in San Diego before visiting Fresno State, and their upcoming agenda includes campuses in Davis, Sacramento and Portland.

Coordinator of Student Involvement Josh Edrington said that initially, Pat and Smock didn’t receive permission to appear on campus. They later went through the correct procedure to use the Free Speech Area. Edrington added that similar controversial speakers have ignited violent responses in the past, but that no students have complained about Pat and Smock.

Pat said that on other large campuses, atheist student groups have organized protests. Earlier this week, Pat said that a Fresno State student became angry at Smock and “got in his face,” prompting other students to calm him down. She thinks Fresno State has been much more calm because it is a commuter school and students aren’t constantly on campus.

“This group at Fresno State has been more receptive,” she said.

In 2007, Smock ignited a debate at the University of Kansas when he publicly condemned homosexuality and called women who wear shorts “sluts.”

Kiernan said that although he disagrees with Pat and Smock’s messages, they have a right to speak their mind.

“I appreciate that there is a Free Speech Area where they can spread their message and we can counter it civilly,” he said.

A verified e-mail address is required to post a comment.Views expressed in the comments section are not representative of The Collegian unless so specified. Comments must be approved by a moderator before they are published. Comments that are inflammatory, profane, libellous and/or posted under a false name may be removed at the discretion of The Collegian. Comments may be used in the print edition of the newspaper.

7 Responses to Religious preachers cause a scene in Free Speech Area

1. joshua4234 says:

People like this thrive off attention, good or bad. The correct response is to ignore them. It saddens me to see people fall prey to obvious tactics of continuing to grow a ministry by being an attention whore.

2. Marv says:

The sign states, “You deserve hell.” The key word is deserve. The Bible states, “for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.” Man has sinned against God, which God detest. According to the bible, your have to repent for your sins and must be born again to inherit the Kingdom of God. Yes as I believer in the Almighty God Christ Jesus, I know I deserve hell. Will I go to hell? No, because my sins are forgiven and I have repented and have full faith and full trust in God. I know where I will go when I step into eternity. In closing, we all want to go to heaven and not to hell, but what we doing heavenly? God is way, the truth, and life. “He who hears you, hears Me. He who rejects you rejects Me. He who rejects Me, rejects Him, who sent Me.” God Bless.

3. Nick says:

I deserve pork chops. When will Jesus bring the pork chops?

4. Nick says:

I deseve pork chops. When will Jesus bring the pork chops?

5. Sean Kiernan says:

I do not understand why this article is introducing me as the ASI senator for residence life. Neither Associated Students Inc. nor University Courtyard has any position on religion, and I do not use my opposition to religion within the function of my office. It would have made more sense to refer to me as VP of the Secular Student Alliance.

6. Raaktin says:

Hell!?!? Where the strippers have STD’s and the beer runs stale? i dont wanna go to Hell!

-Proud Pastafarian

7. Jo Ann Griffin says:

So we all “DESERVE” hell? What happened to “LOVE”?…I must be gettin a different message, (Thank God!)