Response to Rick Perry blog

By | December 09, 2011 | Blog, Top Blog

As this publication’s token Christian conservative, I guess I should respond to Sam Cosby’s post decrying Republican presidential candidate Rick Perry’s candidacy and an advertisement he put out.

Sam is incorrect when he calls Perry’s campaign commercial a “blunder.” Perry must win the Republican primary, and the vast majority of Republicans are against making gay marriage legal. That is reality. This is not a blunder any more than it would be a blunder for Barack Obama to come out for legalizing gay marriage — which, by the way, he is not entirely for either. Perry won’t be elected president because he has not shown enough intellectual fortitude in the GOP debates, not because he is against a law signed by President Bill Clinton, a (gasp!) Democrat.

I highly doubt that Sam (or any of the more than 200,000 who disliked the ad on YouTube) was going to vote for Perry anyways.

Sam is standing on firmer ground when he criticizes Perry’s view that Obama has fought a war on religion. Obama is obviously not as friendly with the evangelical community as his predecessor, George W. Bush, was, but he has hardly begun a war on religion.

But, again, this is a campaign ad. Perry is trying to rile up the Republican base, a substantial portion of which are evangelical Christians. If the debate is framed in such terms, whom will these voters turn to, Perry, or the guy who campaigns against those bitter people “clinging to their guns or religion”?

Though Obama has not begun a war on religion, it is undeniable that Christianity, at least in the public square, has taken a hit in the last 40 years. Supreme Court decisions like Roe v. Wade and Engel v. Vitale enraged many Christians to the point where they saw the government as doing battle against them. And when one considers stories like Rhode Island calling its state Christmas tree a “holiday tree,” its hard to blame them.

Anyways, I won’t be voting for Rick Perry — I’m firmly in the Ron Paul camp — but this ad will not hurt the man in any way in his quest for the presidency. If anything, it will help him siphon votes from Mitt Romney and Newt Gingrich in the Iowa caucuses.

A verified e-mail address is required to post a comment.Views expressed in the comments section are not representative of The Collegian unless so specified. Comments must be approved by a moderator before they are published. Comments that are inflammatory, profane, libellous and/or posted under a false name may be removed at the discretion of The Collegian. Comments may be used in the print edition of the newspaper.

25 Responses to Response to Rick Perry blog

1. rgforfree says:

I also like to call myself a “Young Republican”, but I don’t like this advertisement at all. It doesn’t speak for the YOUNG republicans, the ones who don’t even want to be called republicans anymore because of candidates like this. I don’t think it is OK for him to speak for the rest of us saying that the “vast majority of republicans are against making gay marriage legal.” I do, however, understand that this may be true, statistically, but I think that most of the young republicans view themselves as more progressive with social issues that don’t even effect the state of crisis that the United States is in.

2. prima facie says:

The Obama isn’t waging war on religion as much as he’s bending over backward and twisting himself in knots trying to curry favor with Muslims. Along the way, he hasn’t gone out of his way to acknowledge western religion, Judaism or Christianity, yet certainly has for Islam — apparently in the vein of “reaching out” to Muslims in hopes they’ll stop trying to blackmail the rest of the world.

A misguided agenda, to say the least.

3. yes, I think this ad .. too much for the republican party seems less good, it can form a negative image in the public eye ..i agree that most of the young republicans view themselves as more progressive with social issues that don’t even effect the state of crisis that the United States is in

4. Its fascinating that for a state that is supposedly secular, religion certainly seems to play an overriding role in politics.

5. Dave Samba says:

Barack Obama, a great President, of the UNIYED STATES OF AMERICA.

6. I do, however, understand that this may be true, statistically, but I think that most of the young republicans view themselves as more progressive with social issues that don’t even effect the state of crisis that the United States is in. Barack Obama, a great President, of the UNIYED STATES OF AMERICA.

7. So, you’re a Ron Paul supporter? I like everything about him except his foreign policy.
    Do you think we can decrease the threat of Ahmadinejad with pacifism? There’s a difference between a troubled teen that does not receive love and attention and Ahmadinejad, yes?

We all want peace but not after we get nuked. There is some deep rooted belief in that man’s thinking.

8. Lisa says:

I don’t know why anyone in the world would need to provoke a War on religion. Why can’t the world just live in peace and leave each other to live their own lives?

9. Trintiy says:

Religion is peace. How can somebody provoke a war on it?

10. Albert says:

i think we all want peace. just what John Lennon said, give peace a chance :)

11. F1 Wiki says:

Peace? Religion? Good luck

12. Look like Mitt Romney is the last hope! Good Luck!

13. It all fell apart, Romney is running and we all lose.

14. Mike says:

As much as I hate to say it.Obama will more than likely win the election

15. dany says:

Its fascinating that for a state that is supposedly secular, religion certainly seems to play an overriding role in politics.

16. Thanks
    it is Nice Post for us.The Obama isn’t waging war on religion as much as he’s bending over backward and twisting himself in knots trying to curry favor with Muslims. I like everything about him except his foreign policy.I also like to call myself a “Young Republican”.

17. Well, I have seen a lot of cases about Under nutrition children, child can not be grow without nutrition and his future can be go in darkness.

18. I do however, understand this may be true. i think this ad too much for the Republican party. Barrack Obama is a great person and excellent president.

19. Ern says:

You either love or hate Obama. But, unfortunately, he will complete his second term soon.

20. Camera World says:

Barack Obama ran a great campaign, but the truth that he represents is the unfinished history of America.The Obama isn’t waging war on religion as much as he’s bending over backward and twisting himself in knots trying to curry favor with Muslims.

21. Kapil says:

Thanks. it was a great read.

22. Glama says:

Why aren’t gays satisfied with civil unions. As long as they are legally married they should be entitled to all the benefits.

23. decky says:

it’s very inspiring

24. Rick Perry is half crazy. I’m happy he didn’t get the nomination. Still it’s sad what Obama is doing to this country. Not sure Romney would have been much better, but I hope we can all weather this storm.

25. bdgrent says:

nice article I would like that but I prefer barrack obama