SEX IN PUBLIC PLACES

By | March 09, 2011 | Opinion

It was 3:02 a.m. — a violent scream followed by endless blows to the wall had startled my sleeping friend. A faint dial tone and the sound of her hand repetitively pounding against the hotel headboard awoke me hours later — “Hi,” she said to the voice on the other end. “I’m in room 1431 and the people next door are having sex, real loud.”

As we waited for the desk clerk to arrive, we listened. And with all ears toward our newfound fornicating friends we heard the most stimulating high-pitched moans of that of a third person and the clicks of a blinking camera lens.

The desk clerk eventually reached the fourteenth floor, walked past our room to suite 1432 and knocked three loud knocks.

The pleasure eventually subsided.

After the ménage à trois hotel porno night, I started to research dogging.

Dogging is a euphemism for having sex or watching others have sex in a public place. According to the ABC News American Sex Survey, 57 percent of Americans have got it on in a public or semi-public place — making dogging, a pretty common fantasy.

And that fantasy is fulfilled more often on the Fresno State campus than one would think.

Weeks prior, accusations of students dogging in group study rooms of the Henry Madden Library circulated campus.

Former and current library employees confirmed the hearsay, stating that the “fake cops,” also known as public service assistants, caught couples in the act after concealing the narrow glass window with paper and escorted them from the building.

According to Public Information Officer Amy Armstrong, no such cases were found.

“Generally with those types of incidents either library staff or our public safety assistants will make contact with the people involved and ask them to leave,” Armstrong said.

According to Dean of Library Services Peter McDonald, an incident report should have been filed by the public service assistants. However, nothing was ever documented, leaving the library administration to believe that such acts did not occur. And if they did in fact occur, university policies were not followed.

As American journalist H. L. Mencken once said, life without sex might be safer but it would be unbearably dull.

So all you sexhibitionists out there, thank you for keeping it interesting.

A verified e-mail address is required to post a comment.Views expressed in the comments section are not representative of The Collegian unless so specified. Comments must be approved by a moderator before they are published. Comments that are inflammatory, profane, libellous and/or posted under a false name may be removed at the discretion of The Collegian. Comments may be used in the print edition of the newspaper.

13 Responses to SEX IN PUBLIC PLACES

1. Philosotroll says:

It’s worth pointing out that, at least as I understand it, having loud sex in a hotel room isn’t dogging. But I’m with Mencken on this one.

I’m not surprised by the issue with group study rooms. I’m actually surprised that it’s not considered common knowledge, but I suppose that it’s not something everyone is (or wants to be) aware of.

2. Anonymous says:

Man. Danielle loves writing about sex. After the first sentence I though she was writing about loud sex she was having that woke up her friend sleeping in the same room and my eyes enlarged and my mouth filled with saliva.

I don’t believe for a moment that any sexual penetration or oral sex has occurred in study room at the library, but it wouldn’t be that surprising if it did. I am also impressed that the author didn’t knock on their door and ask for the guy’s number.

3. Anonymous says:

4. Anonymous says:

Collegian,
    Enough with the sex articles already. I understand we are all adults here and mature enough to handle this topic, yet can the Collegian start having a little more professionalism and class.

5. Anonymous says:

Collegian,

6. Anonymous says:

Wow Danielle, we get it you love sex! That’s all you know what to write about. How about writing a decent newsworthy article. This isn’t newsworthy..it’s articles such as these that are making the Collegian go from an informant campus newspaper to a laughing stock campus gossip paper much like the national enquirer..less on news and more on gossip or making someone or a place look bad.

7. MIGUEL says:

I have worked as a fellow Public SAFETY Assistant not SERVICE as you placed in the article. To this day i am not aware of any incident of lewd conduct going on through the library to this day. I guess the collegian does not have a reliable source that can prove any of the articles really happen and since it is an opinion article i guess you can make stuff up and degrade the fellow students calling them “FAKE COPS”. its pathetic how degrading articles are for this newspaper. mine as well grab a magazine were it states that ALIENS are having Intercourse with humans and producing politicians cuz that is what the COLLegian really is……B.S.

8. Anonymous says:

Great to see other people see that Ms. Gilbert needs to work on her journalism skills. Maybe her goal is to work for a gossip magazine or she knows sex grabs peoples attention. Sorry, my bias started with the article about “wearing heels because it makes you feel sexy” what a joke. But if her goal is to work for a gossip magazine then we have to endure these articles until then.

What’s worse is she probably won’t even consider the criticism and continue to spew nonsense.

Great job Collegian you hire true talent!

• Ashley Carlson says:

Alright “fellowbulldog”, If those are her intentions let her be! A little respect would be acceptable. Obviously Danielle is not writing her columns geared to your audience but she is still entitled to write them. All though I am skeptical of the sexual practices inside the library, it was a funny article that obviously caught your attention. Who knows where people get it on!

Great job Collegian! You truly hire good talent. :)

• Anonymous says:

Ummm, can Danielle’s best friends stop shamelessly attempting to defend what is objectively poor writing and poor journalism. Only her mother or best friend could possibly be “Ashley Carlson.”

• Anonymous says:

Using your same reasoning I’m also entitled to write mines so let me be