Dec 10, 2018

The right of way

Parking on campus is always a hot topic among students, faculty and staff. But there’s one thing that irks me more than hard-to-find parking discourteous pedestrians.

Yes, I’ve heard the saying “pedestrians have the right of way,” but what happened to the rights of automobile drivers?

I’ve been a student at Fresno State for more than four years. I drive to campus five days a week, including weekends, and disrespectful pedestrians always seem to cross my path.

Once I approach a stop sign on campus, I’m halted anywhere from 30 seconds to several minutes to allow pedestrians to cross. And we all know that every second counts when you’re running late to class. Drivers have somewhere to be, too. I’m usually sitting in the driver’s seat, in awe, waiting for a group of people to cross the street.

If you’re driving on campus during class breaks, the time between one class and the next, then remember to sit tight and watch people aimlessly talk on their phones and listen to their iPods as they cross. Some pedestrians don’t even wait for me to completely stop before leaping off the curb, in front of my car.

Some pedestrians will start walking across as I’m driving through an intersection.

My favorite scenario is when someone darts in front of my car and then 15 people follow, one by one. As I said before, we all have somewhere to be. Whether it’s to class, to work or to go home after an exhausting day — time is precious.

Also, use the crosswalks when you’re walking from point A to point B. After all, isn’t that what they’re there for? I can’t tell you how many students I see running across Shaw Avenue, not using the crosswalks, to get to the apartments and the Greek houses.

Another thing that ruffles my feathers is how people give me a scolding, dirty and skink eye stare when I don’t let them cross after already letting 15 people cross. Wait your turn, just like I did for the past three minutes.

It’s upsetting that I don’t receive the same courtesy just because I’m on four wheels and not on two feet.

According to California Vehicle Code 21950, “No pedestrian may suddenly leave a curb or other place of safety and walk or run into the path of a vehicle that is so close as to constitute an immediate hazard. No pedestrian may unnecessarily stop or delay traffic while in a marked or unmarked crosswalk.”

I rest my case.

Previous Story Blood drive comes to campus article thumbnail mt-3

Blood drive comes to campus

Students utilize University Student Union