‘Gentlemen’ welcome on campus

By | October 16, 2009 | Opinion

For as long as anyone can remember, the Greek scene has been a large part of student involvement on campus. There are currently 31 fraternities and sororities at Fresno State, and all of them emphasize brotherhood and sisterhood, community service, and leadership. This fall, a new fraternity will join the Greek Life on campus: Phi Delta Theta.

Phi Delta Theta is a fraternity that prides itself on being “The Gentleman’s Fraternity.” The organization caters to five types of young men: the young leader, the future businessman, the academically focused, the service minded and the athletically involved.

I understand that for most fraternities, college is all about learning how to “party hardy.” Most students know that the main party nights around here are Thursday, Friday and Saturday. And if you live in the dorms, word about who’s having the biggest party that night travels fast. It seems that at some point every semester, you hear the name of every fraternity when they throw their “biggest party of the year.”

For new fraternities like Phi Delta Theta, though, a return to traditional values is a fundamental aspect of why their organizations exist and are also values that leaders of the fledgling organization are looking for in new pledges. While Phi Delta Theta isn’t considered a full chapter yet by their national organization, they are expected to attain that status in April of next year.

“You can kind of see a lot of other fraternities are based on great principles, which is a positive thing and does their organizations proud. But Phi Delta Theta tries to break the barrier through which some people view fraternities,” Steven Curtright, a leadership consultant for Ph.D’s national office said. “We want to make a positive impact on the Fresno community.”

The concept of “The Gentleman’s Fraternity” is something that a lot of students appreciate. Girls in particular like the idea of stumbling across a frat boy who, by today’s standards, doesn’t fit the stereotypical description of a frat boy.

“I think most girls here will appreciate a new kind of fraternity. These guys sound like they will probably have better values than most frat boys because they’re more focused on brotherhood. After hearing about everything they’re based on, it sounds like they’re really well-rounded,” said Alexia Silva, a sophomore food sciences major.

While most fraternities say they have academic standards in place as well as a certain number of community service hours, Phi Delta Theta has the facts to prove they hold their brothers to a high standard. They have the fastest growing GPA rate in the country, as well as a “dry house” policy nationwide. That’s right; no drinks, no drugs, none of that stuff. So we obviously won’t be seeing any raging, alcohol-fueled parties in the Phi Delta Theta house. When they get one.

For most Fresno State students, this means a refreshing change in the way we view fraternities on campus. For those that like to “party hardy,” rock on. For those who don’t, maybe the changes that Phi Delta Theta will bring to our campus will be a positive influence. Friendship, sound learning, and moral rectitude are great things to stand on. Let’s see if these boys are up to the challenge.

A verified e-mail address is required to post a comment.Views expressed in the comments section are not representative of The Collegian unless so specified. Comments must be approved by a moderator before they are published. Comments that are inflammatory, profane, libellous and/or posted under a false name may be removed at the discretion of The Collegian. Comments may be used in the print edition of the newspaper.

30 Responses to ‘Gentlemen’ welcome on campus

1. Matt says:

Anyone that is interested in getting more information about the Fraternity or that would like to join, please contact Michael Boothby at (559)-273-0253 or you can send emails to mjboothby@sbcglobal.net

2. Matt says:

3. Sunny Bal says:

Proud to be a Phi !!!

Want to be a founding father of Phi Delta Theta? Develop your leadership skills, build a solid and powerful network, enhance your Fresno State experience…..come meet us and find out what it’s all about.

559.281.0022

4. Sunny Bal says:

Proud to be a Phi !!!

559.281.0022

5. Benjamin Baxter says:

Valentine much?

6. Benjamin Baxter says:

Valentine much?

7. J. Ramon Aguilar says:

Proud to be a founding father of Phi Delta Theta!

I couldn’t ask for a better group of guys to be a part of this great op. here at state.

8. J. Ramon Aguilar says:

9. Bill Vlome says:

Who the hell cares about fraternities. They are full of ugly losers. Who the hell pays for their friends? That is all frats are. Losers who have to pay for their friends because they are too socially inept to make their own friends.

10. Bill Vlome says:

11. Name Required says:

Bill Vlome it sounds like you need a friend. I’ll be your friend for 20 dollars a week.

12. Name Required says:

13. Tom Bommer says:

LMFAO!!!!! Frats force their guys to pay for their friends. Hahahaha. Losers.

14. Tom Bommer says:

15. Tom Jackson says:

Frats are just for guys who like communal showers.

16. Tom Jackson says:

17. Micahel Gallagher says:

Alright now you obviously misunderstand why we pay a monthly fee. Monthly fees go to our multi-million dollar lawyer that we have access to around the clock. They go to help out with the cost of starting up a new fraternity and building a “bank” so we can borrow nationally to build a nice house….not like the ones that you see around bulldog lane either(no offense to those fraternities). You see its not like fourty, a hundred, or even a thousand guys coming together just to blow smoke up someones butt. We have well over 100,000 members of Phi Delta Theta that are proud to say that Phi Delta Theta changed their lives completely. I suggest you get over your fears of being rejected/ cut from the rush list that other fraternities and join ours. We dont rush so there will be no dropping anyone off on some street naked for them to find their way back. We do recruiting and because we do recruiting, you are allowed to leave the fraternity at any point in time. Oh and the huge fee you are thinking about for the multi-million dollar lawyer and the half a million dollar houses that we have built around the nation is a grand total of $35/month. Now if you still dont think you are a leader and think you have what it takes to be a Phi Delta Theta….I suggest you still come and find out for yourself.

Proud to be a Phi

18. Micahel Gallagher says:

Proud to be a Phi

19. Russell Goolsby says:

I really don’t care what other people think. Greek life is a great opportunity, when(if) you graduate, you go into the real world with that many more connections. There are only a few past American presidents that weren’t greek, and the first man on the moon was greek. It is not what everyone thinks it is, especially not Phi Delta Theta.

PROUD TO BE A PHI!

20. Russell Goolsby says:

PROUD TO BE A PHI!

21. Brown Pride says:

So many Greeks, im suprised immigration isnt asking them for their papers….wait you know what even funnier, Mexicans who call themselves Greeks…..oh and something far more hilarious, African American “Greeks” or Asian Greeks. Does any one of the silly Greek Frat or Sorority members even know anything about Greek culture? Seriously dudes….just call yourselves male or female support clubs.

22. Brown Pride says:

23. Matt says:

Hey, Brown Pride, please check your spelling and grammar before trying to post a witty comment.

Thanks, we appreciate it.

24. Matt says:

Thanks, we appreciate it.

25. Micahel Gallagher says:

Just because you (Brown Pride) are so insecure about yourself that you hide behind brown pride instead of posting your actual name doesnt mean you need to go around trying to down everything in your path. You act like you know more about Greek than the ones that are actually Greek. And if you even think you do, I would like to here it….honestly lol.

26. Micahel Gallagher says:

27. Alex Jeter says:

Why would people need to pay for their friends? That makes no sense. You don’t have the social skills and self confidence to make your own friends without feeling the need to pay to have people like you? That is really sad. You are so worthless as a person, the only way you can have friends is to pay for them. Sad.

28. Alex Jeter says:

29. Sunny Bal says:

We all have opinions, it is good to share them. I used to say the same thing about fraternities before becoming a founding father of one. I have been here for 5 years, feels like I know half the population of Fresno and most of Fresno knows me. I didn’t buy these new friends, but i did pay for the chance to meet these boys.

As founder and president of the soccer club, (www.fresnostatesoccer.com) I know about brotherhood and commitment. I love that now i am in a network made up of boys from the triathlon club, hockey team, professional business fraternities, pro paint baller, ex marine, future lawyers, engineers, mechanics …. the list doesn’t stop as long as people join.

Good on ya Alex Jeter. You have your opinion. I used to say the same thing only months ago. There are many clubs on campus that will allow you to network without paying money, only time.

Can people please stop hating on this forum please. We merely offered people who are interested a chance to get more info. This is not the place to vent personal issues you have with fraternities and sororities.

30. Sunny Bal says: