Dec 12, 2018

Leaving tennis to the real athletes

Read this blog’s related article.

I’m no sports nut, but I would say one of the most challenging sports I’ve attempted is tennis. I played it for a spell a few years back to fulfill my G.E. requirement, and while I developed a sincere respect for the game, I never seemed to get any better.

Then it occurred to me that most college and professional tennis players have been performing and practicing for a better part of their lives. Junior Melanie Gloria of the Fresno State women’s tennis team started when she was 8 and junior Tinesta Rowe took it up around the same age.

Whether their parents jump started them, or they just had a natural feel for it I couldn’t say, but it took countless hours over many years for them to perfect their skills. I don’t know how many other athletes can say that.

It also occurred to me that the skill is not all in the swing. It takes a carefully planned workout regimen and exercise routine to maintain a healthy physique. Their arms have to be strong to return the fast serves and their legs have to be toned enough to carry them quickly across the court. I would have assumed that a rainy day would give them some time off, but this was not the case.

As I left Thibodeau’s office, he called to Rowe on her way to the weight room asking if she’d worked on her cardiovascular and, of course, she had. I don’t even know what a cardiovascular is other than the fact that it has something to do with the heart. I got the distinct impression that there isn’t a muscle that is not subject to their daily training.

These students work hard to get the respect and ranking they deserve. One semester of P.E. in college for a few days a week is not nearly enough strain to earn me the same capabilities. As lazy as I am, I would just as soon leave that to the real athletes.

President Huckabee would end Wishy-Washington

Being part of the “Dream”