Fresno State adds women’s swimming and lacrosse

By | January 08, 2008 | News (2)

In an effort to keep up with Title IX requirements, Fresno State has added a lacrosse and swimming-diving team to its list of women’s sports. The two programs will begin competition in the 2008-09 school year. Both teams are expected to add 26 new scholarships- 12 for lacrosse and 14 for swimming.

A verified e-mail address is required to post a comment.Views expressed in the comments section are not representative of The Collegian unless so specified. Comments must be approved by a moderator before they are published. Comments that are inflammatory, profane, libellous and/or posted under a false name may be removed at the discretion of The Collegian. Comments may be used in the print edition of the newspaper.

32 Responses to Fresno State adds women’s swimming and lacrosse

1. Allen Xiong says:

Yeah, makes perfect sense……add two sports which require new facilities. The SaveMart Center could have easily housed gymnastics or women’s fencing. Where are we going to recruit for lacrosse? Philadelphia? Durham, NC? Boston? At least we will have the label of southwestern-most D-1 lacrosse team.

2. Allen Xiong says:

3. Heather Billings says:

The Collegian Staff Comment

The swimming-diving team is actually more of a revival than a new sport. There was an NCAA swim team on campus just a few years ago, so most of those facilities are likely still capable of supporting a team. The pool in the North Gym has been used for aquatics classes continuously since the team was disbanded.

4. Heather Billings says:

The Collegian Staff Comment

5. Kasey says:

I want to go out for the swim team. When will the swim season begin?

6. FSDogs1 says:

I think the old swim & dive team practiced some on campus, but had to compete at Clovis West…something to look into. I read somewhere they may now compete at Clovis West or Clovis North…

7. Kasey says:

8. FSDogs1 says:

9. Allen Xiong says:

Yeah, the on-campus facility is not adequate for NCAA swimming. The University supposedly will get some plans together for a soccer/lacrosse complex as well as an aquatics facility. This construction might perhaps mean men’s soccer and women’s water polo in the distant future (even if Boeh says it ain’t so).

10. Allen Xiong says:

11. FSDogs1 says:

I REALLY, REALLY, REALLY hope the athletic dept. doesn’t decide to take a chunk of the Red Lot tailgating area from us fans to put in a women’s soccer/lacrosse facility. I hear that’s what the talk is about, and I think it’s a horrible idea.

Travel around to other big-time college campuses and you’ll be extremely challenged to find any other big-time football school with better tailgating setup than we currently have. Let’s hang on to that and be proud of it, not further alienate our loyal Red Wavers!

12. FSDogs1 says:

13. McLovin says:

These additions show why Title IX is such crap:

In 2008 we will add women’s lacrosse (no high school programs or history in the area)

In 2003/4 we had to drop men’s soccer (a fully developed talent pool and a well established sport in the valley)

14. McLovin says:

15. Sarah says:

I was on the swimming team from 2002-2004. They cut us after our season was over in 2003 and it was heartbreaking. We joined with mens soccer and raised enough money for another season. How is the university going to GUARANTEE they won’t cut the programs again? I find this news upsetting. I had my college athletic career cut short and now they’re finally bringing it back. I guess they just need to make sure they don’t over-chlorinate the FSU campus pool this time!

16. Sarah says:

17. Erin says:

YES! Great News! Lacrosse is not only a fantastic sport but the fastest growing high school sport in the U.S.!

18. Erin says:

19. McLovin says:

the sport exists in exactly 0 high schools between Sacto and Bakersfield, east of the Central Coast—–any other sport would have made more sense.

20. McLovin says:

21. lola says:

Will there just be recruiting, or will there be tryouts as well? How good of a swimmer do you have to be? And how many girls will be on the team

22. lola says:

23. Debbie says:

I think it’s great to get the swim team back…I really feel for the gal who WAS on the team when the sport got cut….As for Lacrosse, it is quickly becoming quite the sport in our younger aged kids…Perhaps it isn’t found near Fresno YET but in the Sacramento area & all over the state….it’s VERY popular…many high schools now have teams and even the Jr. High schools have it…so, it may not be much right now but it is quickly growing.

24. Debbie says:

25. jmac says:

lacrosse is here to stay, there is a huge talent pool, you guys will be successful in less then three years.

26. jmac says:

27. sadeeka says:

I want to play lax but there’s no info on the website. does anyone know anything about fresno lax?

28. sadeeka says:

29. Jamey Bowen says:

Hello, my name is Jamey Bowen and I am the director of St. Francis Xavier Lacrosse Academy in Edmonton, Alb, Canada.
    We presently have 30 high school aged students/ athletes enrolled in the program with their main objective to achieve a secondary education and take their lacrosse development to the next level. Currently there are two young ladies in the academy that are interested in your program. I am requesting a information package about your school with special regards to your lacrosse program. Thank you so much for your time and consideration and look forward to the packages.
    yours in lacrosse,
    Jamey Bowen
    bowenj@ecsd.net

St. Francis Xavier
    4250 – 163 Street
    Edmonton, Alberta
    T5R 0A7

30. Jamey Bowen says:

yours in lacrosse,
    Jamey Bowen
    bowenj@ecsd.net

St. Francis Xavier
    4250 – 163 Street
    Edmonton, Alberta
    T5R 0A7

31. I’m not sure of the on-site facility is the correct size for ncaa team………

32. I’m not sure of the on-site facility is the correct size for ncaa team………