Feb 18, 2019

Writer’s Guild strike mostly hilarious

“The Daily Show” and its “The Colbert Report” spinoff comprise the only one-hour block of television I miss since the ongoing Writer’s Guild strike cut short production on most nightly television programs.

I could care less about talk shows and late-night monolouges. “Desperate Housewives” isn’t something I watch, and though I’ve heard that “The Office” is a pretty funny show, it’s not a habit.

“The Daily Show” and the “The Colbert Report” are shining, golden blocks of television. I hold them dear to my heart, and perhaps because they more often than not viciously parody television news for what little it’s worth.

I love them both ever so much. I’m reminded why.

It’s almost like some vicious parody of “The Daily Show” itself, and low-budget to boot. Like “The Daily Show,” it breaks up a complex and multi-faceted issue into bite-size chunks, all without insulting the intelligence of its audience.

Food for thought: who is immediately affected by this strike? The producers, studios and stars — some stars noticeably joined in the striking, by the way — have plenty of money, and the writers are probably being paid some amount out of a general strike fund.

If there’s anyone to be really worried about who stands outside the issues, it’s the cameramen and stage techs. The people who work backstage or off-camera have no recognition and stand, like the writers, for a much smaller share of the multi-billion dollar industry’s pie.

How much work is out there, and who is really affected right now? Google News search hadn’t found anything on the subject, so I hope someone considers the stage hands.

I wonder if our Governator is campaigning for them, too.

****

In other news: I never understood why people pay so much for the iPhone, or any phone for that matter; mudslingers condemned by mudslinger; and I sure hope terabyte thumb drives really do pan out in 18 months.

University Courtyard — the campus buffet

Drop deadline approaching