Mascot makeover spoils traditions

By | September 12, 2007 | Sports
The previous Timeout, with his floppy tongue and pot-belly, was a clear favorite among Fresno State fans.
Juan Villa / The Collegian

Kim:

What happened to Timeout?

Our cute cuddly mascot has undergone a full makeover.

His debut at the first football game caught me by great surprise.

He may be “stronger” and “hipper” but he also looks more like a cat and wears clothes that are maybe a little too tight for his own good.

I was expecting this “cooler” version of the mascot to do some back-flips or jump around thanks to his newfound fitness.

At least if he is going to look mean and tough, he could act like it, right?

That was disappointing.

He didn’t tumble or carry anything heavy, but apparently he can bench press 225 pounds.

I want to know who is in the suit and if they really can do everything that Timeout is said to be able to do.

At the first football game, he just walked around the field with a football while the band played.

Wow.

I’m kind of confused by the whole workout thing he did this summer. The commercial I saw showed Timeout working with trainers and getting into shape.

I mean, I guess it’s part of the act but I keep hearing about the diet he went on.

Are we talking about the person inside the suit or the actual figure?

I’m so confused.

At least the old Timeout matched the logo by being big and grey. He may have looked a bit ridiculous with a big red tongue hanging out of his mouth but he still looked like a dog.

I miss the old Timeout.

The transition from old to new has not favored Fresno State
Juan Villa / The Collegian

Jim:

When the new Timeout was revealed a couple of weeks ago, I legitimately thought it was a cross promotional ad for Friskies.

Last time I checked our school’s mascot was the Bulldogs, not the Wildcats. Bulldog Stadium might as well be nicknamed “The Litter Box.”

This so-called makeover Timeout had over the summer was more like a nip and tuck operation. The last time I checked the Bulldog emblem is grey, not brown.

Not that the old Timeout was that intimidating, but come on, what the heck is a smiling cat supposed to do? A mascot is meant to rally support, not discourage fans from attending games.

The whole routine with the band was a little much as well. He looked more like a drunk in a costume than actually coinciding with the marching band.

As a longtime Bulldog fan, I am saddened by the departure of the old Timeout. When we were kids, Timeout would blow up his inflatable tongue and make us happy to cheer on the Bulldogs.

With the banning of alcohol at Bulldog Stadium this new mascot could be the last straw for the REDZONE.

Our football team comes home Sept. 29 and I do not foresee any better reviews for a our new mascot.

Hey, if worse comes to worse, Timeout could always stand out in front of Petco.

A verified e-mail address is required to post a comment.Views expressed in the comments section are not representative of The Collegian unless so specified. Comments must be approved by a moderator before they are published. Comments that are inflammatory, profane, libellous and/or posted under a false name may be removed at the discretion of The Collegian. Comments may be used in the print edition of the newspaper.

30 Responses to Mascot makeover spoils traditions

1. kris graben says:

Geez. Harsh.

2. kris graben says:

Geez. Harsh.

3. Mike Foster says:

Harsh? check out the web speak on the new timeout. Those people are harsh.

4. Mike Foster says:

5. kris graben says:

I stand corrected, Mike. Not harsh, according to all the adoring, faithful Bulldog fans. Thanks for the LOL on some of those comments…very LOL funny. “Crack Cat” is my favorite. Having looked at the picture, I am in agreement that the animal does look like it is on drugs…or in heat …or something like that. Way to present a reasonable view Jim and Kim.

6. kris graben says:

7. that new mascot just looks sassy and rather sad—nothing original about it. Come on—–shoes?

8. that new mascot just looks sassy and rather sad—nothing original about it. Come on—–shoes?

9. Last time I checked, the Bulldog emblem was white.

10. Last time I checked, the Bulldog emblem was white.

11. Christopher says:

he wasn’t suppose to have been on the field while the marching band was performing

12. Christopher says:

13. Bulldoggeled says:

They better bring back the “Real Timeout” back before NCAA 09 comes out. If the new mascot (I won’t call that thing Timeout) makes the game, I will never forgive FSU for screwing up another great thing about our school.

14. Bulldoggeled says:

15. Lisa N. says:

This is a travesty. New Timeout has that “dog in the headlights” look about him. Not good …

16. Lisa N. says:

17. Alysia says:

I better not see this thing at the game September 29th…I’m totally gonna BOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I like the outfit he had on though. It’s cute.

18. Alysia says:

19. Jeanie Artist says:

Not only are the writers of this article harsh they should learn to have some compassion. Let’s think about game day. It was 100 degrees at kick off and the field temperature was about 140 degrees. Now consider that this person is in a heavy fur suit. How many flips would the writers be doing at that point? It’s easy to criticize when you are sitting behind a computer writing your article in an air conditioned office..

20. Jeanie Artist says:

21. Kerry Vickner says:

I don’t know, looking at the two pics with this article it appears to be a choice between Alvin from the Chipmunks after a bad case of the mumps…or…Gizmo from the 80′s movie Gremlins, after a bad bout with a glass of water…I don’t think there’s much room for improving either of those costumes…(I did have to laugh at the Friskies comment, nice job)…oh, a PS for the bleeding heart mother of the mascot…buy a small fan for your son’s costume head, make him drink plenty of water prior to the game, and give him a cool towlette when he comes of from a “timeout” after his broiling routines, that should keep him as cool as the writers in the air conditioned box…(I gotta get a life, writing on a college blog instead of working is gonna get old quick).

22. Kerry Vickner says:

23. jennifer says:

All i have to say is that I want the old time out back!!!!

24. jennifer says:

25. Peter says:

The new “Timeout” is an abomination to the integrity of Fresno State. I just about choked on my instrument from within the band when I laid my eyes on this grinning fool of a bobcat wannabe…I say get the old head back, match the brown fur and let’s get on with business again. I personally have not heard one positive comment from associates, friends or otherwise about the new costume. Whoever is responsible ought to chalk it up to a grave mistake…ask for forgiveness…and fix the mistake in a hurry. Otherwise, they might run into the public opinion buzz saw that just took out Michael Vick.

26. Peter says:

27. Jim says:

Bring back the Old Timeout. This thing is very embarrassing. Tradition is important and it has been killed with this new mascot!

28. Jim says:

29. 1997 Alumni says:

It was truly disappointing to see that the “look” of timeout has changed. Being that I no longer live in Fresno, but attend and support FSU Athletics, it was disappointing to see the change. I am not sure whether this is a ploy for revenue (i.e. the bulldog on all apparel will have to change) or a true “makeover” – either way – the old Timeout stands strong. Family/kid-oriented, tough yet respectful, and entertaining – please bring back the old Timeout. Some of us remember him from our childhoods -

30. 1997 Alumni says: